[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SoundBlaster MIDI compat. - results

KOHLER@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (11/06/90)

  In article <90306.170251KOHLER@GECRDVM1.BITNET> I wrote:
  >Has anyone had experience with the MIDI option on the Sound Blaster?
  >
  >Specifically, I want to know if the MIDI option is Roland MPU-401
  >compatible. I have a midi interface card and Cakewalk sequencer software,
  >and I need to know if I can use the software with the Sound Blaster MIDI
  >option, or should I save my money?

  Save your money.  It isn't compatible and costs about as much as a
  used 401 board.

  No, it's not MPU-401 compatible. It specifically states it in the
  manual that comes with the card. The reason  being that MPU does some
  extra stuff that CMS says can easily be emulated in software.
  Therefore, you'd probably need a special driver to get cakewalk to
  work with SoundBlaster MIDI.

  The SOUND BLASTER MIDI interfaces isn't MPU compatible.  There is very
  little software which supports it.  It is also crippled in that it
  cannot send and receive MIDI data simultaneously.

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (11/06/90)

In article <90309.175638KOHLER@GECRDVM1.BITNET>,
KOHLER@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
kohler>   Save your money.  It isn't compatible and costs about as
kohler> much as a used 401 board.

True. Actually for about the same price as a new CMS or MusicQuest
MPU-401 board.

kohler>   No, it's not MPU-401 compatible. It specifically states it
kohler> in the manual that comes with the card. The reason being that
kohler> MPU does some extra stuff that CMS says can easily be emulated
kohler> in software.  Therefore, you'd probably need a special driver
kohler> to get cakewalk to work with SoundBlaster MIDI.

I don't think Cakewalk supports it at all, but Voyetra's new Sequencer
Plus family does fully, and they also use the Adlib FM stuff as a
multitimbral tone generator and can play ROL, as well as MIDI, sound
files.

kohler>   The SOUND BLASTER MIDI interfaces isn't MPU compatible.
kohler>   There is very little software which supports it.  It is also
kohler>   crippled in that it cannot send and receive MIDI data
kohler>   simultaneously.

I think that this will be changing, as more software developers start
using the UART mode of even intelligent MIDI cards....

Anyway, the jist is that don't buy the Sound Blaster just for its MIDI
function, but if you already have it for games, you might also want to
use it for MIDI...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +