[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 360K drive on AT? P'raps?

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (11/03/90)

We have a computer which, for various reasons, needs to be able to
reliably read, write and format 360K low-density disks, 1.2MB disks,
and 720K/1.44MB 3.5" disks.

Currently, we have a PC with one standard density drive, one high
density drive, and one high-density 3.5" drive.  Those drives, plus
a new controller, have served us well.

But it's now time to upgrade to a 286, and we're trying to find a way
to keep the 360K drive (since 1.2MB drives are rotten at formatting and
writing low-density disks that are readable by low-density drives).
Does anyone know of a special controller card that we can get to let
us install the 360K drive?  Or can we just plug it in?  (Yeah, right.)

Any replies would be appreciated.  E-mail is probably better, but posting
is fine.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

JCS120@psuvm.psu.edu (11/04/90)

The new disk controller you have should be able to support a 360K drive

just fine, as all the newer cards are universal and can support all of the

drive types you mentioned.

You may have to set some switches(oh whats that word?) in order for

the card to recognize the 360K drive.

Hope this helps  JCS120

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (11/05/90)

Thanks to the dozens who responded to my query for whether 360K drives
work in a 286.  Apparently, they do.  The only problem, as one writer
noted, would be that some combined HD/FD controllers can handle a
maximum of two floppies, and we wanted to run three.  In that case,
I assume we'd have to just use ours to drive the HD and buy a cheapo
floppy controller for the three floppy drives.

Again, thanks, everyone!  You know, somewhere out there, someone just
bought a 286 and is pulling her or his hair out, wondering what to do
with the 360K drive.  :-)
--

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov02.174518.25426@hoss.unl.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:
>We have a computer which, for various reasons, needs to be able to
>reliably read, write and format 360K low-density disks, 1.2MB disks,
>and 720K/1.44MB 3.5" disks.
>
>Currently, we have a PC with one standard density drive, one high
>density drive, and one high-density 3.5" drive.  Those drives, plus
>a new controller, have served us well.
>
>But it's now time to upgrade to a 286, and we're trying to find a way
>to keep the 360K drive (since 1.2MB drives are rotten at formatting and
>writing low-density disks that are readable by low-density drives).
>Does anyone know of a special controller card that we can get to let
>us install the 360K drive?  Or can we just plug it in?  (Yeah, right.)
>
>Any replies would be appreciated.  E-mail is probably better, but posting
>is fine.
>--
>        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
>Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

My 386/25 (used to be a 286/16 until motherboard swap) sucessfully supports
this same configuration. You need either a 4 port floppy controller (I suggest
the one from JDR microdevices) and disable the floppy ports on any HD
controller you have, or buying the auxilliary 2 port controller (also JDR) in
conjunction with a HD controller.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254