[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] questions about EPSON Emulation printers

tran@peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) (11/02/90)

   Most of dot-matrix printers nowaday (9 pins & 24 pins) have Epson-emulation
and/or IBM Proprinter emulation mode.   But how complete is this emulation
mode.  Do they emulate all commands including user-defined characters commands.

   If this is the case then we need only to support Epson 9pin series (MX, FX,
RX, LX, etc) and 24pin series (LQ) and software would work with most printers
on the market.

   I'd like to hear your views on this.

Nhan
Email: tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (11/06/90)

>    If this is the case then we need only to support Epson 9pin series (MX, FX
> RX, LX, etc) and 24pin series (LQ) and software would work with most printers
> on the market.

   If you are going to claim support for the MX, then get one and test it
before you make that claim.

   I have a pile of software that claims MX support but it does not. It
seems that the author didn't bother to test against an MX to find out
that MX's do not support 1/216 inch carrage movement.

>    I'd like to hear your views on this.

   That is my view. It is a peeve with me. I have an MX as my main printer.

<> "Aneth!  That's a charming place!" "You've been to Aneth?"
<> "Yes, but not yet." -- The Doctor and Seth, "The Horns of Nimon".
><
<> "Sanity check!" "Sorry, we can't accept it, it's from out of state." - me

cctr132@canterbury.ac.nz (11/07/90)

In article <3sy8R2w163w@phoenix.com>, stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) writes:

>>    If this is the case then we need only to support Epson 9pin series (MX, FX
>> RX, LX, etc) and 24pin series (LQ) and software would work with most printers
>> on the market.
>
>    If you are going to claim support for the MX, then get one and test it
> before you make that claim.

Hear, hear!!  Also, when you test it, don't expect what you have coded on the
basis of info in the Manual, to work!!  I know, I've tried.  It was long enough
ago now that I don't remember the details, but a couple of things stick.
*Some* **APPARENTLY RANDOM** combinations of control codes have to be
separated with NUL's to get anything other than the first one recognized by the
printer, and a couple of the code sequences in the manual I had were simply
incorrect - "misdocumented" is a good euphemism (talk about hair loss!!).

Personally, I have much fewer problems using the documentation that comes with
printers that seem to do good emulations (most recently, Panasonic KX-P1124).
There is a potential problem in using printers that do emulations though, and
that is that the emulations can be based on the same misleading documentation
supplied with the original models.  From one of my examples above, you may
find an MX emulator that doesn't require NUL's between certain control code
sequences (the possibility wasn't even mentioned in the MX manual I had), and
your software will work with that printer but not with an Epson.

| Nick FitzGerald, PC Applications Consultant, CSC, Uni of Canterbury, N.Z. |
| Internet: n.fitzgerald@canterbury.ac.nz            Phone: (64)(3) 642-337 |