[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MEI disks: more words

eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov7.070058.9618@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:
> Anyway, I've just formatted a bunch of DS/DD MEI diskettes (3.5"
> generic) and I've had no errors at all.

I've usually had <2% failure when formatting these to their rated specs.

> I suggest that my tests are more rigorous than yours because I formatted
> all to 1.44 megabytes, not the 720k they are rated for. I've also run
> most of them through fastback and norton's backup as another test (of
> different 1.44M formats) and those programs, known to be picky about
> diskettes, did not reject any of them, except for one, which DID work
> with those programs at the lower normal capacity of 720K.

I have done the same, and found that about 10% of the 3.5" DD won't format
properly on HD.  I use other brands for this task.  Although, with the
0.89/disk HD's I don't bother any more.

> Patrick Draper              In times like these it is helpful to
> buster.cps.msu.edu          remember that there have always been
>                             times like these.
C. Mark Eakin
Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu
Amateur Radio: N4SYK      Packet Radio: N4SYK@AB4LU.FL.USA.NA
USnail: Univ. of Miami, RSMAS-BLR, 4600 Rickenbacker Cswy. Miami, FL 33149-1098