[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Partitioning hard disks

emmang@ecr.mu.oz.au (Totally Lost) (11/07/90)

Hi All.

I am having a problem partitioning my hard disk.
I can make the partition, but I cannot tell the computer to boot
off the partition.

The computer can boot off the disk if I have no partition, but as
soon as I partition it, and copy the system onto it(MSDos) the computer
locks up.

I have an Amstrad PC1640, and a Verbatim DataBank Hard card.

Some help would be greatly appreciated,

Emma Norling

emmang@ecr.mu.oz.au

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (11/08/90)

>From: emmang@ecr.mu.oz.au (Totally Lost)
>Subject: Partitioning hard disks
>Date: 7 Nov 90 00:40:45 GMT
>

>I am having a problem partitioning my hard disk.
>I can make the partition, but I cannot tell the computer to boot
>off the partition.
>
>The computer can boot off the disk if I have no partition, but as
>soon as I partition it, and copy the system onto it(MSDos) the computer
>locks up.

Did you re-FORMAT (high-level not low-level) the partitions?
You didn't say how you are partitioning.  FDISK? Disk Manager? other?

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (11/08/90)

Steps you must perform in order:
1.  Run FDISK and create the primary DOS partition and make it active!
2.  Exit FDISK and reboot the computer.
3.  Run FORMAT C:/S with the DOS diskette in drive A:
    This will enable the partition to be bootable with all the system files.

If you perform the above steps and still have problems, please don't hesitate
to drop me a line.

      __________                                          ___
   /     /     / "Happy Computing ..."
  /           /                        Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  4730 Centre Ave. #412  BITnet:   jc58@andrew
 \__________/   Pittsburgh, PA  15213  UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
  Computer Dr.
                          Carnegie Mellon University

 "If you don't like having backups ... try driving without your spare tire."
Disclaimer:     The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.