[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Attempting to connect Hitach 19" RGB Monitor to PC

marks@pwa-b.uucp (Evan R. Marks) (11/05/90)

Hi!

I am attempting to attach a 19 inch Hitachi RGB Monitor with 4 bnc connectors
(R,G,B,Sync) to my vga card and have had no success.  This monitor originally
came from a CV Sun.  Has anybody done this successfully?  DOes anyone know
where I can get a cable that would work?  Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your help

--
Russell J. Saldi 		   	 Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
Sr. Systems Support Analyst              400 Main St. M/S 161-05

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov5.102312.10398@pwa-b.uucp> marks@pwa-b.uucp (Evan R. Marks) writes:
>I am attempting to attach a 19 inch Hitachi RGB Monitor with 4 bnc connectors
>(R,G,B,Sync) to my vga card and have had no success.  This monitor originally
>came from a CV Sun.  Has anybody done this successfully?  DOes anyone know
>where I can get a cable that would work?  Is it worth it?

Well, it's certainly possible to get a cable which will connect the two.
Many of the high-end monitors nowadays have the 4 BNC connectors.  Just
ask for a "VGA to 4 BNC connector cable." :)  They certainly do exist.

The more important question, though, is whether your monitor will sync
to the frequencies a VGA produces.  Your monitor might well be a fixed-
frequency monitor, only set up to handle, for example, 1172x900 at 70 Hz.
To use the standard VGA modes, it needs to be able to handle 60 and
70 Hz vertical, and 31.5 kHz horizontal.  If you have the docs for the
monitor, you should be able to see in the specs whether it can handle
this.  If you have a Super-VGA, compare the frequencies listed in your
card's manual with those in your monitor's manual to see if they match
up OK.

Hope this helps!
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."