[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] vga+hercules

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (11/08/90)

i have a vga and a hercules card in my computer. unfortuinately
the computer uses the vga card nmost of the time. i want it to boot with
the herc chard, and only do graphics stuff on the vga.
right now, i can not get dos to work with the hercules. how can i make dops
use the hurcules?
gwoho lui.

ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) (11/08/90)

In an article jsd@arcadien.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube), writes:
>What's the point in using the hercules???  A VGA card, in a text
>mode, offers the same resolution as does hercules.

Don't know 'bout anyone else but having two monitors would be great
for writing and especially debugging graphics programs. The debugger
could be running on the HGC while the graphics are being displayed on
the VGA! I think some people are fortunate enough to have such
configurations, unfortunately I'm not one of them!

--
Gary Hennigan
+  e-mail: ghenniga@NMSU.Edu, henninsf@maxwel.NMSU.Edu                      +

xia@acsu.buffalo.edu (xinfu xia) (11/08/90)

     I installed Mathematica on my IBM PS/2(386SX).  I run it.
It turned out did not
work with my computer.  So I deleted all the files and subdirectories.
But I found 5MB of my disk space was gone.   Dosshell 4.01 shows
there is no directory left.  I went to Norton.  I can see
the directories still exist.  But I can not get into these directories.
A real directory will allow me to enter even if it is empty.  You can see
from the right panel of the Norotn that it is empty.  But these deleted
directories won't let you do that.  Using Norton sd command I can see a
big chunk of my C: disk is marked with X which means unmovable.  How can
I remove this chunk?  I am running out my disk space.  I lost a total of
15MB since I tried three times to install.  Help please.

                 Thank you very.
                                                      Xia, Xinfu
                                                      Dept of Physics
                                                      SUNY at Buffalo
                                                      716-636-3070

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (11/08/90)

In article <GHENNIGA.90Nov7230727@tesla.nmsu.edu>, ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) writes...

>In an article jsd@arcadien.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube), writes:
>>What's the point in using the hercules???  A VGA card, in a text
>>mode, offers the same resolution as does hercules.
>
>Don't know 'bout anyone else but having two monitors would be great
>for writing and especially debugging graphics programs. The debugger
>could be running on the HGC while the graphics are being displayed on
>the VGA! I think some people are fortunate enough to have such
>configurations, unfortunately I'm not one of them!

    I have such a configuration.  I bougth the hercules with the intent of
debugging Turbo Pascal and Turbo C++ code, but I'm having a very annoying
problem.  When I load the debugger to work from the herc screen, I don't get
a mouse pointer, and anything that I move the mouse over turns to bold,
blinking text.  If I boot with the hercules screen as the primary screen
(something the VGA Wonder lets you do), I get a similar effect.  Has anyone
had experience with this kind of problem?  I'm using a Microsoft Mouse , but
I'm not sure which version of the drier I'm using.

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |                                             |
|  PSCHWART@vms3.macc.wisc.edu  |       Your message here...                  |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                 only 5$ per post            |
|  (608)255-5702                |                                             |

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov8.174254.4830@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes...

>i am told that i can use the mode instructions to make the herc
>monitor work.
>how is this done? i looked in a dos book. i did not see it.

mode mono => herc
mode co80 => vga
    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |                                             |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |       Your message here...                  |