[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] desqview question

tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) (11/08/90)

a guy in my office needs a menu on his PC. I put Desqview on, because it
does so many more useful things that a simple menu.

ok. he has a laptop, so he doesn't always want to be on the network
(Novell)

I would like to put a Network option in his DV menu; I put one in, and
it ran a batch file to log him on, then the last line was 'exit'
to return to the menu, so he can go to mail, or whatever;

well, it logs him in ok, but when the window closees, the net drivers go away
is there a way to close a window, and leave something resident in ram?

right now, i set his prompt to 'Network? (y/n) ' and have y.bat and n.bat
to do the appropriate things,

anyway, i could leave the network window open , as DOS, but i thought i'd
see if there was a nice way to keep the drivers up w/ no window

any suggestions?

Tim

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (11/09/90)

tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) writes:

>I would like to put a Network option in his DV menu; I put one in, and
>it ran a batch file to log him on, then the last line was 'exit'
>to return to the menu, so he can go to mail, or whatever;
>well, it logs him in ok, but when the window closees, the net drivers go away
>is there a way to close a window, and leave something resident in ram?

I've been using DV and NetWare for 3+ years now.  I don't know of
anyway to do this.  In fact, my experience has shown that loading NW
inside DV often results in unreliable results.

I recommend putting a question in the user's AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or
DV.BAT asking if s/he wants to connect to the server.  There are
several PD utils (e.g., TASK.COM) that will return an errorlevel based
on a Yes, No or timeout response.  Subsequent lines in the batch
program can test for this errorlevel and load/skip the network.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

david.deitch@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (11/10/90)

You won't believe this, but back on 07/Nov/90 (was a Wed BTW) at
about 21:12, Tim said this to All:

 > a guy in my office needs a menu on his PC. I put Desqview on, because it
 > does so many more useful things that a simple menu.

 > ok. he has a laptop, so he doesn't always want to be on the network
 > (Novell)

 > I would like to put a Network option in his DV menu; I put one in, and
 > it ran a batch file to log him on, then the last line was 'exit'
 > to return to the menu, so he can go to mail, or whatever;

 > well, it logs him in ok, but when the window closees, the net drivers go away
 > is there a way to close a window, and leave something resident in ram?

 > right now, i set his prompt to 'Network? (y/n) ' and have y.bat and n.bat
 > to do the appropriate things,

 > anyway, i could leave the network window open , as DOS, but i thought i'd
 > see if there was a nice way to keep the drivers up w/ no window

     There is only one real way to log into the network in DV.  You must log
in first then run DV.  There is no way to load anything hi or install any kind
of cache or spooler while in a window due to the memory management DV is
doing.  You can access anything installed before running DV, though, including
ram drives, caches, spoolers, and TSRs loaded high.

     I would use QEMM (if your laptop is a 386) or QRAM to load your ipx.com
and netx.com into high ram then load DV.  You will be able to access the
network from any DV window independantly.  The reason is that once you
establish the network resources in the system, DV will copy them (like the
environment) into each window you open.  Thus you can be working on multiple
network drives and performing multiple network activities without conflict.

     David Deitch (GIS)
          deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
               1:133/411@fidonet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david.deitch
INTERNET: david.deitch@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG