[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Gateway 2000

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (11/06/90)

What's the scoop on Gateway 2000?  Has anyone had good/bad luck with their
computers?  I'm interested in their $1995 386sx.

thanks for the time

|Brian Hoffman								|
|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
|Quote:	"A red sky at night may be a shepard's delight, but you're 	|

lee@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Greg Lee) (11/06/90)

From article <1990Nov5.190436.20695@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman):

" What's the scoop on Gateway 2000?  Has anyone had good/bad luck with their
" computers?  I'm interested in their $1995 386sx.

Notices in this newsgroup have been favorable.  On the strength of that,
I bought one, a "VGA 386/25MHz", which arrived one week ago (4 weeks
after I ordered it).  After 6 days, the video display scrambled, and
Gateway is sending me a replacement ATI card.  Aside from the fact
that it is not working right now, I have some minor reservations
about the system:

(1) There was no paper documentation for either the ATI video card
or for the hard disk drive, which is a Western Digital "Caviar 280"
85.3meg.  Also nothing on the power supply or the floppy drives.
A Gateway technician agreed to send me a manual for the video card
but said he had nothing available on the hard drive.  None of the
documents that did come with is specific enough to include schematics.

(2) The CPU+RAM seems a little slow.  I ran the Norton 5.0 sysinfo
program and got these figures: CPU 15.7, Disk 6.6, referenced to
the performance of an XT.  Norton gives comparison figures for a
"Compaq 386/20e 20MHz": CPU 20.5, Disk 6.4.  Sysinfo also reported
an av. seek time for the disk of 14.96ms and data transfer rate
of 655K/sec.  (I had the Windows 3.0 disk cache in place when I
ran this test.)  This Gateway model does not have a RAM cache and
with only the 4 megs of RAM on the motherboard that it comes with,
it does not do interleaved memory references, though apparently it
would if supplied with an additional 4 megs.  I asked whether I
could expect a little more speed if I did plug in more chips and
was told no, not necessarily.  Interleaving might slow it up.

(3) Windows 3.0 is bundled, and I thought I would be getting "Daybook",
the sample Toolbook application.  However, that was not included,
and Gateway cannot supply it.

				Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu (11/07/90)

	I'm having very bad luck with Gateway 2000.

	I ordered a 386SX in September and got the computer the last
	day of October. Only four days before I shipped back the CPU
	because it went dead. Tech people were difficult to reach
	and had very bad temper. They say they are busy all the time.
	Hum, No wonder.

	The hard disk (80M IDE) had high pitch buzz noise and a  bad
	connection somewhere that it would occasionally re-start itself.
	Keyboard felt the worst than anything I ever tried, and
	had a key that didn't function. Mother board also had "Parity Error"
	causing system to halt if in Turbo mode.

	All these were sent back to them, a few days later I called. They
	said the machine was still boxed in their "Receiving Departmant" not
	yet reached the Tech people. Now they called me and told me it
	would be a week before they could get to look at the problem.

	If a company had the capacity to sell 10,000 computers a month (as
	the sloppy salesman said), it better had the capacity to sevice them.
	And Gateway 2000 is, without doubt, not such a company.

	I would've returned the whole thing and forget about it once for
	all had I not already spent $100 in the shipping fee and wasted
	a month and half on it. Maybe some day I'll have to give it all
	up

schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) (11/07/90)

Whenever someone asks about comments/complaints about a particular company,
all we hear are bad experiences, and there is no way to tell whether any
one particular experience is the normal or out of the ordinary.  I would take
all of these comments not-so-seriously since all of them are just one persons
experience.  Now if someone conducted a poll of all Gateway customers for
their satisfaction, maybe you could draw some conclusions.  I was thinking
of ordering from Gateway eventually, and when I am ready to buy I probably
still will.

-Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

bicker@cbnewsi.att.com (The Resource, Poet-Magician of Quality) (11/07/90)

=> Whenever someone asks about comments/complaints about a particular company,
=> all we hear are bad experiences, and there is no way to tell whether any
=> one particular experience is the normal or out of the ordinary.  I would take
=> all of these comments not-so-seriously since all of them are just one persons
=> experience.
=> -Dan Schikore

Not true.  Most of the comments about Gateway 2000, including my own,
have been overwhelmingly positive.

--
Brian Charles Kohn          AT&T Bell Laboratories Quality Process Center
Quality Management System   E-MAIL: att!hoqax!bicker  (bicker@hoqax.ATT.COM)

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (11/08/90)