[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MEI/Micro Center floppy disks

6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) (10/28/90)

Fellow netters...

For 7 years I've been buying floppy disks, generally sticking
with a name brand or an off-brand that I'd had good experience
with but occasionally buying generics with success.

Although I generally never buy anything from Computer Shopper,
I've seen enough MEI/Micro Center advertisements over the
years to feel it was worth ordering from them.

My order of 5.25" HD, 3.5" DD and HD diskettes arrived yesterday
and I started formatting the 5.25" HD's. The VERY FIRST one was
a disaster, finally formatting with a number of bad sectors.
I tried the remaining 24 in the package... out of 25 diskettes I
had problems with 3. I've never had a failure rate like that...
in fact I only remember ONE diskette in 7 years that failed to
properly format the first time. My drive is fine. I'm afraid to
try the 3.5" diskettes.

Has anyone else had experience with MEI/Micro? The 5.25" HD and
3.5" DD were labelled "Made in China" (please do not interpret
this as a flame of China although their government deserves it)
while the 3.5" HD were "Made in Hong Kong." I give this informa-
tion simply because it was the only identification on them.

In the future I will DEFINITELY buy from my previous, reliable
sources. My data is too valuable (tens of thousands of dollars
of consulting research effort on each diskette) to risk it even
though I do MULTIPLE backups stored in separate locations (in
case of fire, flood or other disaster). Even with this policy
I've come close... one of my client's computers chewed up two
floppies with text of a manual I wrote for them (luckily I had
two other copies... one on hard disk and one on floppy).

Any comments on MEI/Micro? Do they deserve the flame... or
worse?

Bill Bushing

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."   - Einstein

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (10/28/90)

In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
>I tried the remaining 24 in the package... out of 25 diskettes I
>had problems with 3. I've never had a failure rate like that...
>
>Has anyone else had experience with MEI/Micro? The 5.25" HD and
>3.5" DD were labelled "Made in China" (please do not interpret
>this as a flame of China although their government deserves it)
>while the 3.5" HD were "Made in Hong Kong." I give this informa-
>tion simply because it was the only identification on them.

I have bought hundreds of disks from MEI/Micro over the years, and I have not
had much problem with them.  The quality seems to have gone down, however.
About 5 out of the 200 5.25" HD disks in my last order failed to format
properly, but they were replaced promptly.  They used to pack the disks in
heavy plastic bags, and the disks worked 100%.  Now the disks are in
lightweight plastic printed "Made in Hong Kong" (for 5.25" HD at least), and
that's when the problem started.  I will probably try another vendor next
time.

Any comments from other MEI/Micro customers?
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:

   I've seen enough MEI/Micro Center advertisements over the
   years to feel it was worth ordering from them.

   My order of 5.25" HD, 3.5" DD and HD diskettes arrived yesterday
   and I started formatting the 5.25" HD's. The VERY FIRST one was
   a disaster, finally formatting with a number of bad sectors.

At the price MEI charges, you could have half your disks have bad
sectors, and you'd still be ahead of the "name brands".  If a disk
formats with any bad sectors, I throw it into the bad disk pile.  Yes,
it's a bit of a pain, but it only wastes a little time since I format
my disks with CONFMT while I'm reading news.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) (10/28/90)

In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) says:

>My order of 5.25" HD, 3.5" DD and HD diskettes arrived yesterday
>and I started formatting the 5.25" HD's. The VERY FIRST one was
>a disaster, finally formatting with a number of bad sectors.

I've had similar results with my order of 3.5" HD diskettes.
While my order took a little longer to get here, I figure for the price
it's not a bad deal at all.  As already mentioned, they will replace
defective disks.  5.25" HD diskettes are intrinsically more picky
when it comes to formatting.  I've had more problems with HD 5.25's
than I care to think about.  I refuse to work with them if I don't
have to.

>         My data is too valuable (tens of thousands of dollars
>of consulting research effort on each diskette) to risk it even
I'd agree.  I use namebrand floppies when it comes to my backups, or
somtimes I use these with lots of error checking (I use Norton Backup
and does tend to find errors when backing up on MEI disks)

>Any comments on MEI/Micro? Do they deserve the flame... or
>worse?

Well, not quite a flame, but they could do some testing somewhere along
the line to make sure bad disks don't leave the warehouse.  I have a
feeling this joint is an ~10 person business, running out of an
abandoned building.

 /David Barr - Penn State CAC Student Consultant
| 'The Trim Sig'       | dsbarr@endor.cs.psu.edu
| 906 Tener Hall       | DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu
 \Univ. Park PA, 16802 | barr@barrstl.scol.pa.us

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (10/28/90)

     In relation to the other comments about MEI/Micro, I've been thinking
of buying around 30 3.5" 1.44M disks, to back up around 30M of graphic
data.  Once a disk is formatted without any errors, has anyone had problems
with the disks later developing problems?  Can I rely on these disks for
long-term storage?
     Should I go to a name brand disk for long-term backups?

                                                           [Tim]

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (10/29/90)

In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
>Any comments on MEI/Micro? Do they deserve the flame... or
>worse?

One of the reasons that you can get "generic" disks so cheap is that
YOU are doing the testing and weeding out the bad ones.  MEI will replace
these but if there are only a few, it's not worth the postage.  I have been
using their disks for several years with no complaints.  I usually have
about a 3-5% initial failure rate and am happy with that.  I have never
had a disk that formats 100% the first time fail at a later date.
Just because some fail the initial format, it does not (necessarily)
logically follow that the ones that DO pass are somehow less reliable.
Do they deserve the flame......probably not.
Should you use their disks.....probably not since it makes you uncomfortable.
Will I continue to use them......Absolutely.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/29/90)

In article <90300.195308DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu> DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) writes:
>In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) says:
>
>>My order of 5.25" HD, 3.5" DD and HD diskettes arrived yesterday
>>and I started formatting the 5.25" HD's. The VERY FIRST one was
>>a disaster, finally formatting with a number of bad sectors.
>>         My data is too valuable (tens of thousands of dollars
>>of consulting research effort on each diskette) to risk it even
>I'd agree.  I use namebrand floppies when it comes to my backups, or
>somtimes I use these with lots of error checking (I use Norton Backup
>and does tend to find errors when backing up on MEI disks)

I've run PC TOOLS backup program using 3.5" HD disks, and there were
no problems.

I'm not so sure that name brands make all that much of a difference.
I've had a lot of trouble with 3M 3.5" high density disks, and some of
the students in our department have had trouble with TDK 3.5" HD
disks. I should aslo point out that that problem was using a Mac
IIcx's super drive, which may or may not have any bearing on the
problem. I've never tried MEI's disks on those drives

>>Any comments on MEI/Micro? Do they deserve the flame... or
>>worse?
>I have a
>feeling this joint is an ~10 person business, running out of an
>abandoned building.

I know a lot of people who have bought stuff from them, and would
generally recommend their disks. I think that all told I've bought
about 400 disks of various kinds from them, and generally have had no
problems. As they do guarantee replacement, the deal is good if you
want a lot of disks. They advertise pretty widely, and seem to have a
lot of customers.
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

BLI@psuvm.psu.edu (JEFF BRENDLE) (10/29/90)

We have used MEI/Micro Center Floppies at the campus labs I am responsible for
for about a year and a half.  Of the thousand we used we have not experienced a
huge failure rate, and even "bad disks" can sometimes be used albeit at a lower
capacity for "emergency storage" when you only really need a disk that you can
"reach for".  For my personal use, I've gone through over 200 of their 3.5" HD
& DD disks...only had *two* that didn't format the first time using a PS/2 disk
drive known to be "picky".  All other machines in the lab had NO PROBLEMS even
with these two.  As to reliability in the long run...I've had MORE PROBLEMS in
my stacks of Sony/BASF/Maxell then in any of the MEI.  Draw whatever conclusion
you want but in the long run it comes down to you feeling comfortable trusting
your data to whatever disks you are using.  I trust them, and feel the price is
good; accept the low failure rate for the savings; but I do admit my last order
did come through before the change of Made in's.  :-)

-Jeff-

PSU Berks Campus Computer Consultant

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/30/90)

In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:

>Although I generally never buy anything from Computer Shopper,
>I've seen enough MEI/Micro Center advertisements over the
>years to feel it was worth ordering from them.
>
>My order of 5.25" HD, 3.5" DD and HD diskettes arrived yesterday
>and I started formatting the 5.25" HD's. The VERY FIRST one was
>a disaster, finally formatting with a number of bad sectors.
>I tried the remaining 24 in the package... out of 25 diskettes I
>had problems with 3. I've never had a failure rate like that...
>in fact I only remember ONE diskette in 7 years that failed to
>properly format the first time. My drive is fine. I'm afraid to
>try the 3.5" diskettes.

    I've been buying from MEI for a number of years, and have never had
any problem with them.  One batch of floppies from them was "bad" (i.e.
10 bad floppies out of 100).  I called, and a replacement for the entire
order arrived the next day.  I've never lost data from one of their
floppies (that was the floppy's fault, anyway).

    I'll stick with them for now.  (I also get calls from salescritters
who want to sell me ribbons.  Their prices for one ribbon usually matches
what MEI charges for a half-dozen of the same ribbons).

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (10/30/90)

There are a number of reasons that the disks can go bad.  Quality
control ends when they leave the manufacturer.  Disks can be damaged
in transit or in shipping, or simply fail even after standing up to
QC tests.  I have also had name-brand disks fail fresh out of the box
too.

     I would send your disks back and ask for a refund or a
replacement shipment.  You will find their customer service people to
be very understanding.

     David Deitch (GIS)
          deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
               1:133/411@fidonet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david
INTERNET: david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (10/30/90)

In article <6834@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
>Fellow netters...

(long story about bad floppies deleted)

>Any comments on MEI/Micro? Do they deserve the flame... or
>worse?
>
>Bill Bushing

I have ordered from them several times and liked what they gave me.  Cheap
floppies with no problems.  However in my last order several months ago
(50 High Den floppies) did give me a few bad discs which I tossed.  It could
be they are having QA problems.  They have been good in the past, but our
two experiences may mean they need to be watched in the future.

Frank
frank@odetics.com or uunet!odetics!frank

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (10/31/90)

In article <90300.224007F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>data.  Once a disk is formatted without any errors, has anyone had problems
>with the disks later developing problems?  Can I rely on these disks for
>long-term storage?

It depends on what do you mean by "long-term". I have a whole bunch of 5.25"
floppies went bad on me. They were at least 6 years old. Once a floppy went
bad, it went downhill pretty quick (i.e. once bad sectors started appearing,
it got worse and worse in subsequent usage). However, today's floppies may
be better. BTW, all those bad floppies were brand name like Dysan and CDC,
there were no "no-brand name" floppies back then.

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (11/01/90)

In article <651.272D9B38@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG> david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) writes:
>     I would send your disks back and ask for a refund or a
>replacement shipment.  You will find their customer service people to
>be very understanding.

    Call them first, it's probably not necessary to send them back.

--
 _

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (11/01/90)

>     I would send your disks back and ask for a refund or a
>replacement shipment.  You will find their customer service people to
>be very understanding.
-------------------
I just got off the phone to MEI (800 number). I had purchased 50 5.25 HD
disks and 15 of them (30%) were not good. 4 wouldn't even format at all;
the rest had bad sectors. I just told them the problem and them said they
would send out 15 more and that I didn't need to send back the bad ones.
(It is my fervant hope that people don't start lying about bad disks to
get more free ones ... that could kill the Golden Goose)
	I still would like to know what the odds are that "marginal" disks
might "go bad" at a later date.
			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) (11/02/90)

From article <8416@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, by ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall):
> I just got off the phone to MEI (800 number). I had purchased 50 5.25 HD
> disks and 15 of them (30%) were not good. 4 wouldn't even format at all;
> the rest had bad sectors. I just told them the problem and them said they
  My experience with MEI disks is to use a low level format program like
Norton Utilities WipeDisk on all disks first, then format them.  From around
200 floppies I had a bad disk rate (ie a disk with any bad sectors at all) of
around 5% or less.  They seem to have good longevity also, although I mainly
used them for hard disk backups and used my other disks for important things.

- Jeff Shorey

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (11/02/90)

> From: py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung)
> Subject: Re: MEI/Micro Center floppy disks
> Date: 30 Oct 90 19:13:12 GMT
>
> In article <90300.224007F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> >
> >data.  Once a disk is formatted without any errors, has anyone had problems
> >with the disks later developing problems?  Can I rely on these disks for
> >long-term storage?
>
> It depends on what do you mean by "long-term". I have a whole bunch of 5.25"
> floppies went bad on me. They were at least 6 years old. Once a floppy went
> bad, it went downhill pretty quick (i.e. once bad sectors started appearing,
> it got worse and worse in subsequent usage). However, today's floppies may
> be better. BTW, all those bad floppies were brand name like Dysan and CDC,
> there were no "no-brand name" floppies back then.

My experience has also been that data on many floppies may deteriorate with
time.  For critical data, I find that an occasional pass through PCTOOLS 6.0
DiskFix "Revitialize floppy" function is helpful.  I think the Norton Disk
Doctor has a similar function although I haven't used it.

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (11/02/90)

In article <1156@cameron.egr.duke.edu> js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) writes:
	[DELETIONS]
>  My experience with MEI disks is to use a low level format program like
>Norton Utilities WipeDisk on all disks first, then format them.  From around
>200 floppies I had a bad disk rate (ie a disk with any bad sectors at all) of
>around 5% or less.  They seem to have good longevity also, although I mainly
>used them for hard disk backups and used my other disks for important things.
>
>- Jeff Shorey

	Do you mean that Norton WipeDisk will work on an unformatted
disk? I thought it only would zero out all information written on
an already-formatted disk. So data in an erased file can not be retrieved
by Unerasing, for example.
	What does WipeDisk do to an UNFORMATTED disk?
	Thanks.

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

allen@audiofax.com (Allen Jensen) (11/02/90)

I just bought a package of (25) disks from my local MicroCenter
3 bad out of 25 (12% failure) - I'll try taking the three bad one's
back tomorrow.......

--
P. Allen Jensen                              AudioFAX, Inc. / Suite 200
allen@audiofax.com                           2000 Powers Ferry Rd.

kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) (11/03/90)

[Pyuallup, Washington got its name when someone regurgitated there.]

     I bought some 3.5 inch floppy disks at "Wierd Stuff", a local computer
surplus dealer, that were still sealed in the box.  For this reason, I
gathered that they were new but, for some reason, wound in the store.
Some failed to format, so a zapped them with a video tape bulk eraser.
Had no trouble with them after that.

--
						Port'naybl

key!beep!kris
woodowl!beep!kris

"Look what they've done to my program, look what they've done to my code;
 They stuck it all on this floppy disk, and I think they got it wrong, ma..."

rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) (11/10/90)

In article <1156@cameron.egr.duke.edu> js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) writes:
>  My experience with MEI disks is to use a low level format program like
>Norton Utilities WipeDisk on all disks first, then format them.
>- Jeff Shorey

Another oddity.  If you try to format them first, and they fail to
format correctly, and then you try to format them a second time, often
they will be ok.

Pretty wierd, huh?

--
Robert C. White, Jr.          Right lane of .signature closed, merge left
The WhiteStar Corporation

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (11/11/90)

In article <7948@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM> rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) writes:

>Another oddity.  If you try to format them first, and they fail to
>format correctly, and then you try to format them a second time, often
>they will be ok.
>
>Pretty wierd, huh?

    Not at all.  Often the disks have small surface defects which wil cause
a format failure only if located in certain areas of the track information.
There are enough vagaries from one formatting to the next, the the spot
may fall into a non-used area the second time.  Another possibility (rare,
but I *have* seen it) is an ara that somehow got highly magnetized, and
requires multiple erasures to bring to a writable state.  From that point
on, it's ok.

--
 _