[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Dark Avenger Virus

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (11/07/90)

I realize that this should go to the virus group, but our
system does not automatically send to the moderator and I
don't know where the moderator is.  We need help fast!

Subject: Dark Avenger?

Around Halloween we were hit by a virus that blanks the screen and
displays "Dark Avenger".  The machine must be rebooted after this
happens.  Has anyone heard of this virus.  McAfee's ver 67 scan
does not find it.

Thanks for any help.

Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)
Northern AZ Univ  Flagstaff, AZ 86011
--

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/11/90)

In article <2826@naucse.cse.nau.edu> wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) writes:
$Around Halloween we were hit by a virus that blanks the screen and
$displays "Dark Avenger".  The machine must be rebooted after this
$happens.  Has anyone heard of this virus.  McAfee's ver 67 scan
$does not find it.

   Are you sure?  That's a well-known virus that's been around for a
while, and Scan certainly checks memory for it, so I don't see why it
wouldn't be able to find it on your hard drive.  You _did_ boot from
a known clean, write-protected floppy when running Scan, didn't you?

   In any case, McAfee recommends using CleanUp to remove this virus;
I've never dealt with that virus myself so I don't know what your
chances of dealing with it are.  I'd suggest that if you aren't already
a registered user of Scan and CleanUp, you should register them with
McAfee Associates at (408) 988-3832; they take MasterCard and Visa.
Registered users are entitled to phone support in dealing with viruses
on their systems, as well as obtaining program updates from their BBS.
--
HI ROGER |Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."| silver@xrtll
_________|-----------------------|_______________|------------|_____________

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (11/11/90)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

>In article <2826@naucse.cse.nau.edu> wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) writes:
>$Around Halloween we were hit by a virus that blanks the screen and
>$displays "Dark Avenger".  The machine must be rebooted after this
>$happens.  Has anyone heard of this virus.  McAfee's ver 67 scan
>$does not find it.

>   Are you sure?  That's a well-known virus that's been around for a
>while, and Scan certainly checks memory for it, so I don't see why it
>wouldn't be able to find it on your hard drive.

I had it and SCAN found it just fine.

>   In any case, McAfee recommends using CleanUp to remove this virus;
>I've never dealt with that virus myself so I don't know what your
>chances of dealing with it are.

Chances are great if you boot from a clean floppy and replace all of the
infected files (as is the case for dealing with most viruses). I have
found that with CLEAN from McAfee, the patient usually dies during the
operation (i.e. the EXEs don't EXE any more).

		Steven

Personal opinions, and all that junk...
--
Steven V. Christensen