[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] HPGL-to-PCL conversion program for IBM PC?

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/08/90)

In article <18128@rouge.usl.edu>, ldlres00@pb.usl.edu (Lafleur L. Dwynn) writes...
>Is there an IBM PC program that converts a file of HPGL commands (the graphics
>language for Hewlett-Packard plotters) to a file of PCL commands (the language

<lines deleted>

An alternative that I am using, is plotting to a POSTSCRIPT
plotter file and sending to a postscript laser printer....

works very well for our Medusa CAD system....

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/09/90)

ldlres00@pb.usl.edu (Lafleur L. Dwynn) writes:

>Is there an IBM PC program that converts a file of HPGL commands (the graphics
>language for Hewlett-Packard plotters) to a file of PCL commands (the language
>for Hewlett-Packard Laserjet printers)?  I am surely not the first person with
>this need, so I apologize if this query has previously been answered in this
>newsgroup.

Yes.  It's called Hijaak from Inset Systems.  It supports many other
formats (IFF, many Faxes, Dr. Halo, GIF, EPS, GEM Paint, PIC, MS Paint,
Mac, PCX, TIF, WPG to name a few).  It works fairly well.  I believe
there's a new version 2 out now that also supports AutoCAD and CGM.  It
seems to work pretty well.  It won't convert from vector to raster or
vice versa (something along those lines anyway).  It's certainly been
worth it for me.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

mah@uncecs.edu (Mike Honeycutt) (11/12/90)

There is a shareware program called PRNTGL that takes a HPGL
file and prints it to a variety of printers (Laserjet, Epson, etc).
The guy only wants $20 for it.  I tested it on several files
and was pleased with the results.  I think it was posted to the
net.  I'm sure SIMTEL20 has it.  Last resort, I will post it.

Mike Honeycutt  UNC Asheville Computer Ctr (704)251-6445 mah@ecsvax.BITNET