[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Freedom of the net

cooper@arisia.Xerox.COM (Martin F N Cooper) (11/12/90)

>is, in a nutshell, 'bow down before the all-powerful companies and pray
>that they won't cut off my net access!'

I didn't give any advice at all.

>True, we will
>lose a small number of people and contacts from this one company.  But
>the company will lose the entire net.  In any sort of loss/gain
>comparison, it seems fairly obvious that it is the company that loses
>more than the net.

That "small number of people" depends on the company we're talking about.
But more importantly, I agree with you that it seems fairly obvious - but
that is to you and me, not to senior management in a large corporation,
who may have completely different views on the subject, if they even know
that Usenet exists.

>This leaves aside the point that I don't think a company would do such a
>thing.

Right now, right here, I wouldn't put too much money on that...

Don't get me wrong - I personally don't have any real concerns about
disseminating information of whatever type via the internet, and I'd
cite the Tienanmen Square events as a great example of how the net can
be used to great global advantage despite the odds - I'm just trying to
make sure that people understand that it could also hurt the net - and
I'm trying to protect my own access while I'm at it... :-)

	Martin.

draphsor@elaine12.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (11/12/90)

cooper@arisia.Xerox.COM (Martin F N Cooper) writes:

>[un-attributed] I write:

>>is, in a nutshell, 'bow down before the all-powerful companies and pray
>>that they won't cut off my net access!'

>I didn't give any advice at all.

Excuse me for assuming that the following was advice.

>However, remember that many people on the net work for private corporations,
>and that newsgroups such as rec.music.synth are populated in the main by
>people who are not employed in areas directly related to the subject at
>hand. So a company might just decide that in the interest of increasing
>productivity (as a stated reason, at least) they should cut off access to
>the net for their employees. That, to me, is certainly to the detriment of
>the net as a whole.

>I'm not saying I agree with these ideas, all I'm saying is that they could
>easily happen, and we wouldn't like the result.

True, on looking at it more closely, it's not advice, at least not
explicitly.  However, there is an implicit argument that everyone should
avoid rocking the boat.  That is what I was referring to in my article.
Explicit advice or not, it is this dangerous attitude that was the
reason for my response.

>>True, we will
>>lose a small number of people and contacts from this one company.  But
>>the company will lose the entire net.  In any sort of loss/gain
>>comparison, it seems fairly obvious that it is the company that loses
>>more than the net.

>That "small number of people" depends on the company we're talking about.
>But more importantly, I agree with you that it seems fairly obvious - but
>that is to you and me, not to senior management in a large corporation,
>who may have completely different views on the subject, if they even know
>that Usenet exists.

So, simply because this senior management is not only paranoid, but also
ignorant, we should bow down to their wishes?  That's ridiculous!
Accepting someone's power as unalterable, especially when you admit that
their decisions are based on misinformation, is tantamount to
intellectual suicide!  "I'm sorry, sir, you really don't know what
you're talking about, sir, and you're going to take the company down in
flames, sir, but you're the boss, sir, so I won't tell you what I'm more
qualified to know about."  Allowing the kind of people who are unwilling
to listen to better informed opinions to dictate *our* actions is simply
allowing the blind to lead us off a cliff.

>Don't get me wrong - I personally don't have any real concerns about
>disseminating information of whatever type via the internet, and I'd
>cite the Tienanmen Square events as a great example of how the net can
>be used to great global advantage despite the odds - I'm just trying to
>make sure that people understand that it could also hurt the net - and
>I'm trying to protect my own access while I'm at it... :-)

I'd suggest that the best way to protect your own access is to make sure
that your senior management understands that only by maintaining free
dissemination of information will the net remain useful, and by showing
them how useful the net actually is to you in your work.

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

Would someone please take the jerk who posted an inflamatory article on
software piracy to six big groups, without putting in a followup line,
out back and shoot him?  We just went through this same pointless drivel
in mid-summer, and as soon as a new bunch of gullible school kids get on
the net, this bozo has to set off another wide bandwidth, zero value
posting war.

The guppies who suckered into following this up, _please_ correct your
"Newsgroups: " lines to contain _only_ misc.legal in all successive
postings.  It may save your accounts.  It will certainly do wonders
for my nerves.

Why the news posting software writers haven't corrected the obvious flaw
of allowing cross-posted articles without followup-to entries, after so
many ample demonstrations of the complete necessity of such a fix, is
beyond me.

Kent, the man from xanth.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/13/90)

In article <draphsor.658392458@elaine12.stanford.edu>,
draphsor@elaine12.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:
> and by showing
> them how useful the net actually is to you in your work.

But is it?  How much time is wasted yearly reading netnews, for the fun of
it?  Hmm, just how many times are you reading some newgroup that has nothing
to do with your "work"?  I agree that the net is useful to corporations in
many ways, but let's not kid ourselves about how much useful work gets done
on the net.  Go take a look at most of the soc groups.  Sigh.
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products