[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for info on hooking up Colorado tape drive

bgeer@esunix.UUCP (Bob Geer) (11/13/89)

From article <4de7e4ff.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, by miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller):

> I'm considering buying a Colorado internal tape drive.  I understand that
> you can hook it up to either a floppy controller, or it comes with a card
> for a slot.  I was wondering if this card also allows the hook up of an
> additional floppy?  Any info would be appreciated.

I just did this...the CMS DJ10 tape drive needs to be firmware version
40 (FW 40 on the end of the box).  Add a 3rd floppy connector onto
your floppy cable about 5 inches from the `B' drive connector, plug in
the tape, then the `B' drive, then the `A' drive using the end
connector.  I pulled an old connector off of an old cable & pressed it
on with pump pliers -- it works, but probably used up my hardware
karma for the next 3 years!  My disk controller is a DTC 7287, which I
think is a typical 2-floppy, 2-hard [RLL] drive controller with 1.2M &
360k drives attached.  Just be sure the tape connector alligns exactly
with the `B' drive connector -- pin1 to pin1, etc.  CMS sells a
3-connector cable for $30.

CMS's installation instructions are very clear, their software easy to
use; unpacking, installation, & backup took less than 2 hrs.  Their
phone folks were curteous & gave me real info before I purchased the
device.  As you may tell, I'm pretty pleased!  The worst part was
trying to get my local outlets to order a FW40 for me -- after 6 weeks
I finally mailordered it!

Disclaimer:  I don't work or own stock in CMS, just a happy customer!
--
<> Bob Geer        <> at decwrl!esunix!bgeer or utah-cs!esunix!bgeer  <>
<>    Bear-person  <> speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks <>

miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) (11/09/90)

I'm considering buying a Colorado internal tape drive.  I understand that
you can hook it up to either a floppy controller, or it comes with a card
for a slot.  I was wondering if this card also allows the hook up of an
additional floppy?  Any info would be appreciated.

Herb Miller

Hewlett-Packard           Apollo Systems Division
MS: CHD-02-CS             508/256-6600  x4220
250 Apollo Drive          HP TELNET: 256-4220
Chelmsford, MA 01824      EMail: miller_h@apollo.hp.com

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (11/10/90)

In article <4de7e4ff.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes...

>I'm considering buying a Colorado internal tape drive.  I understand that
>you can hook it up to either a floppy controller, or it comes with a card
>for a slot.  I was wondering if this card also allows the hook up of an
>additional floppy?  Any info would be appreciated.
>

>Herb Miller
>
>Hewlett-Packard           Apollo Systems Division
>MS: CHD-02-CS             508/256-6600  x4220
>250 Apollo Drive          HP TELNET: 256-4220
>Chelmsford, MA 01824      EMail: miller_h@apollo.hp.com

	The Colorado Tape Drive can be obtained in three flavors (the drive is
the same in all - only the options vary).

1. drive alone - runs on your floppy controller in place of either A or B (the
newest ones -may- run as C or D on a four floppy controller) (No. It doesn't
become a floppy - you just lose a floppy "port".)

2. internal with adaptor card - the card sits on the bus and also intercepts
the floppy cable from your floppy card and allows you to use both floppies (all
four?)

3. external with adaptor card - same as internal

	None of these allow you to put more floppies on than your current
floppy controller setup will handle. The card just allows you to retain your
second floppy instead of losing it.

	/s/	Bob Gettys

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/10/90)

In article <4de7e4ff.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:
>I'm considering buying a Colorado internal tape drive.  I understand that
>you can hook it up to either a floppy controller, or it comes with a card
>for a slot.  I was wondering if this card also allows the hook up of an
>additional floppy?  Any info would be appreciated.

The CMS drive can be hooked up instead of floppy-drive-B.

If you buy the card, then you can hook up both floppies to the floppy
controller, and one tape drive to the extra card.  But not an additional
floppy drive.

I have one.  I've tried these combinations.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (11/11/90)

In article <4de7e4ff.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:
> I'm considering buying a Colorado internal tape drive.  I understand that
> you can hook it up to either a floppy controller, or it comes with a card
> for a slot.  I was wondering if this card also allows the hook up of an
> additional floppy?  Any info would be appreciated.

Most PC floppy controllers will support two diskette drives.  The
CMS tape drive, by itself, will replace one of these drives,
allowing you to support one diskette and one tape.  With their AB-10
board, you can still support two diskette drives, and one tape
drive.  This board is electrically between the diskette controller
and the first diskette drive, and acts like a software-controlled
switch that alternately connects the controller to the diskette
drives or to the tape drive.

___________        ___________      _____________      _____________
Floppy    |------->|CMS AB-10|----->|Diskette B:|--~-->|Diskette A:|
Controller|        |Board    |      -------------      -------------
-----------        -----------
                        |             ____________
                        |------------>|Tape Drive|
                                      ------------

The tape drive connector on the CMS board appears both on the
backplane, and on the card itself.  This means that the tape drive
may be mounted internally or externally.  If you only use one
diskette drive, but you want to mount the tape drive externally,
then the AB-10 board will take care of that problem, too.

CMS also offers two tape drive controller boards.  These do not
connect with the floppy controller.  They are true device
controllers.  One supports hardware-based data compression, which is
compatible with their normal software-based compression, but faster.

We use the CMS Jumbo under AT&T UNIX with the AB-10 board, and two
diskette drives.  The only limitation we have doing this is that the
diskette drives become unavailable for the duration of any tape
operation.  If this is a problem, the other tape boards mentioned
probably don't have this limitation.  Under MS-DOS, this would not
be a limitation, as the tape drives are only useful for backup and
restoral of the hard disk.  The PC is fully occuipied during these
operations.  Under UNIX, the tape drive appears as a
character-special device, and you can use normal UNIX commands such
as cpio, dd, or tar with it.  It would be possible to do this from
one process while another does something with the diskette drives,
if the more expensive tape controller board were here.

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (11/13/90)

>I'm considering buying a Colorado internal tape drive.  I understand that
>you can hook it up to either a floppy controller, or it comes with a card
>for a slot.  I was wondering if this card also allows the hook up of an
>additional floppy?  Any info would be appreciated.

I have also heard that Colorado Makes a special cable that connects
to your primary floppy controller and allows the B drive and the
tape drive to share a single connection.  I have heard this works
like a charm and allows you to keep both floppies w/o buying the
extra card.  This limits you to internal only installation though.

I have not tried this myself so I don't know if it works I would
welcome a post from someone using this setup.

Robert Nee

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (11/13/90)

There seems to be a widespread belief that when you hook up a CMS
jumbo tape backup to your floppy controller, you lose the use of a floppy
drive.  THIS IS WRONG!  If you obtain a recently produced drive, it
will have the right firmware to coexist with your B: floppy drive.
All you need to do is add a drive connector to your existing cable,
essentially in parallel with the B: connector.  Due to mounting
considerations and which side pin 1 appears in the drive connectors,
you may have to do some cable twisting, but it works.  I know since
I did all that 6 months ago!

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) (11/14/90)

Gee, and I popped an extra $90 for the card :-(  It works, though...

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us