[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] NOVICE QUESTION ON WORDPERFECT 5.1

mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) (11/10/90)

I've recently begun working with Wordperfect 5.1 but have run into a problem. The lines of test extend off the right end of the screen. I can't figure out how to fix this. It's not the margin settings. I'd appreciate help.

Marc Green Trent University

ormohrbh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard Ohrbach) (11/10/90)

In article <90Nov10.081641est.6312@neat.cs.toronto.edu>, mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) writes...
>I've recently begun working with Wordperfect 5.1 but have run into a problem. The lines of test extend off the right end of the screen. I can't figure out how to fix this. It's not the margin settings. I'd appreciate help.
>
>Marc Green Trent University

Fonts are presented on the screen page of WordPerfect according to their
size when printed.  With 1" margins on both the right and left sides of the
page, a 12 point font such as Times Roman will result in the text lines
extending off the screen, whereas a fixed font such as Courier 10 (for the
Hewlett Packard LaserJet) or most any Pica font will result in the text
lines remaining within the 80 column width screen.  That is, Courier 10
uses 10 characters per inch, and an 80 column monitor equals 8 inches; with
1" margins on an 8.5" paper width, that means 6.5" of text space.  Since
each character takes one column (on both screen and paper) it all fits on
the screen.  However, with proportional fonts (such as Times Roman 12
point) or with very small fixed fonts the space on screen required by each
character is the same, but the space required on paper is less.  With
larger fonts (such as Times Roman 24 point) the opposite problem occurs:
the text line on screen may only extend half-way across the monitor, but on
paper the text will extend to the margins.  Use View Document to visualize
these differences.

To check which font is set up for your printer as the default, press PRINT
(Shift F7), then move the cursor to the appropriate printer driver and then
press EDIT to see which font is selected as the default.  To change fonts
within a document, press either FONT (Ctrl F8) or FORMAT (Shift F8,
followed by DOCUMENT).

Hope this helps in your understanding of how WordPerfect handles fonts on
screen.

Richard Ohrbach

david.deitch@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (11/13/90)

You won't believe this, but back on 10/Nov/90 (was a Sat BTW) at
about 13:16, Marc Green said this to All:

 > I've recently begun working with Wordperfect 5.1 but have run into a
 > problem. The lines of test extend off the right end of the screen. I
 > can't figure out how to fix this. It's not the margin settings. I'd
 > appreciate help.

     Word Perfect does not confine your work area to the column width
of your screen.  Depending on your margin settings and font usage, WP
can and often does extend beyond the right boundry of the screen.
What will happen is if you type or move the cursor to text beyond
what is visible, the entire window will shift.  To quickly switch
between the left margin and right margin, use the HOME and END keys.
It may seem unnatural at first, but play around with it and it will
become more manageable.

     David Deitch (GIS)
          deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
               1:133/411@fidonet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david.deitch
INTERNET: david.deitch@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG

price@chakra.unl.edu (Chad Price) (11/14/90)

In <90Nov10.081641est.6312@neat.cs.toronto.edu> mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) writes:

>I've recently begun working with Wordperfect 5.1 but have run into a problem. The lines of test extend off the right end of the screen. I can't figure out how to fix this. It's not the margin settings. I'd appreciate help.

Try checking the font size - your problem is most likely a combination of the
margins and the font size. Anything smaller that 12 point (10 pitch) will
probably give you more than 80 characters per line.

Either decrease the amount of space between the margins, or increase your font
size (to at least 12 point, or even 13 or 14 point), or both. If you choose a
large font so that you can see all of the text, remember to decrease it to
a more normal size when you print your text or it will look like you are
publishing a large type book for the visually impared.

chad price
price@fergvax.unl.edu