[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Problem with make under MKS Toolkit

cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (11/14/90)

Pardon me if this has come up before. E-mail preferred; I'll summarize
anything of general interest.

Environment: MKS Toolkit (sh.exe replacing command.com), Microsoft C
compiler ver. 6.0, MKS Make, Microsoft's nmake.

Problem: Compiling with Microsoft C using make or nmake leads to a
D2027 error: could not find 'c2.exe'. I first noticed this when
running make from within the Epsilon editor (^x m), but the problem
also occurs when running make or nmake from the command line.

Compiling from the command line is not a problem. Compiling from
within a .bat file is not a problem. As stated above, I've only
noticed the problem using make or nmake when running under sh.exe.
(The problem does not appear when I login as dos and invoke
command.com as my shell.)

I have tried putting cl.exe, c1.exe, c2.exe, c3.exe, and the make
executables in the same directory as the sources, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I'm open to
grotesque solutions.

--
Bitnet:                 pmrcjdb@uchimvs1
Internet:       cjdb@midway.uchicago.edu

schmidt@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kevin Schmidt) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov14.053425.25376@midway.uchicago.edu> cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

>Environment: MKS Toolkit (sh.exe replacing command.com), Microsoft C
>compiler ver. 6.0, MKS Make, Microsoft's nmake.
>
>Problem: Compiling with Microsoft C using make or nmake leads to a
>D2027 error: could not find 'c2.exe'. I first noticed this when
>running make from within the Epsilon editor (^x m), but the problem
>also occurs when running make or nmake from the command line.
>
>Compiling from the command line is not a problem. Compiling from
>within a .bat file is not a problem. As stated above, I've only
>noticed the problem using make or nmake when running under sh.exe.
>(The problem does not appear when I login as dos and invoke
>command.com as my shell.)

The problem is probably that sh.exe takes up more (and consequently too much)
room than command.com causing the C compiler to bomb out due to not enough
memory.  This save situation has happened to me when using make from within
my editor.

The solution is to free up more memory by eliminating TSR's, removing device
drivers from config.sys, or moving either of those to extended/expanded
memory.

Good luck.>
       / / / _  \  / /  | Kevin T. Schmidt          | schmidt@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
      / / / /_/ / / /   | Jet Propulsion Laboratory | schmidt@jems.jpl.nasa.gov