[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wordperfect 5.1 -> Displaywrite

dma@ism.isc.com ((saki)) (11/10/90)

I used DisplayWrite in the dim days of my first computer job, and
now I'm faced with helping someone (if possible) generate documents
on Wordperfect 5.1 and convert them for use on DisplayWrite. My
sense was to suggest using WP 5.1's Ctrl-F5 to save the document as a
DOS text, then use a DisplayWrite conversion program to pull it into
that system. But does one exist? I can't remember. And maybe there's
a better suggestion somewhere...

I tried calling Wordperfect's help-phone-line for this, and they
claimed they didn't know. I thought DisplayWrite was a product of
theirs in the same generic family?

"I mean lines, ducky, can you handle lines?"
* saki (dma@ism.isc.com) *

price@chakra.unl.edu (Chad Price) (11/12/90)

In <1990Nov10.000237.1888@ism.isc.com> dma@ism.isc.com ((saki)) writes:

>on Wordperfect 5.1 and convert them for use on DisplayWrite. My
>sense was to suggest using WP 5.1's Ctrl-F5 to save the document as a
>DOS text, then use a DisplayWrite conversion program to pull it into
>that system. But does one exist? I can't remember. And maybe there's
>a better suggestion somewhere...

To convert: WP has a program caled convert.exe, which will product a format
called DCA-revisable form text, and also DCA-final form text. I cannot remember
which one to use, so try both. Displaywrite should be able to read one or both
of these formats, as they were originated by IBM for document transfer among
some  of its incompatible systems.

>claimed they didn't know. I thought DisplayWrite was a product of
>theirs in the same generic family?

Word Perfect Corp was originally called satellite software, but NEVER was
a party to Displaywrite. Displaywrite in all of its versions has always been
a product of IBM.

jgb1@ra.MsState.Edu (John G. Burrell) (11/15/90)

In <1990Nov10.000237.1888@ism.isc.com> dma@ism.isc.com ((saki)) writes:

>I used DisplayWrite in the dim days of my first computer job, and
>now I'm faced with helping someone (if possible) generate documents
>on Wordperfect 5.1 and convert them for use on DisplayWrite. My
>sense was to suggest using WP 5.1's Ctrl-F5 to save the document as a
>DOS text, then use a DisplayWrite conversion program to pull it into
>that system. But does one exist? I can't remember. And maybe there's
>a better suggestion somewhere...

>I tried calling Wordperfect's help-phone-line for this, and they
>claimed they didn't know. I thought DisplayWrite was a product of
>theirs in the same generic family?

>"I mean lines, ducky, can you handle lines?"
>* saki (dma@ism.isc.com) *

Ever RTFM???? or do you have manuals???
WordPerfect comes with a conversion program called..... CONVERT.
will convert to RFT/DCA file format (IBM's Revisable Form Text format)
which DisplayWrite will read and write.

NO... IBM published DisplayWrite... a hold over from thier dedicated word
processor machines called... DisplayWriters

I am really suprised at WP's techies not catching this...
BTW, to go from DisplayWrite to WP, you must save the doc in RFT format..