[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC FILE FORMATS

mork@blake.u.washington.edu (David Mork) (11/14/90)

   Is there a collection of PC file formats (Lotus, Paradox, etc)
   on the net?  I have yet to find a decent up to date book on the
   subject.  Will the companies dispense this information?  Any
   comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

cs00chs@unccvax.uncc.edu (charles spell) (11/14/90)

In article <11053@milton.u.washington.edu>, mork@blake.u.washington.edu (David Mork) writes:

>    Is there a collection of PC file formats (Lotus, Paradox, etc)
>    on the net?

I have heard of a book that has PC file formats in it (forgot name, sorry).
I am not sure how up to date it is. I am looking for a book describing
graphics file formats also. IF anyone has any ideas please post. I am
suprized that there are so many graphics file viewers/converters out there
but there is none that I am aware of that covers all major formats. Anybody
aware of any that are fairly comprehensive (covering most types)?

--
 .--------------------------.  ...  |On the border of your mind lies a place
 |uunet!mcnc!unccvax!cs00chs|  (")  |where dreams and reality are one...I will
 `--------------------------'-w-U-w-|take you there, for I am the subject...
 \%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\|the subject of your imagination. -Aldo Nova

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (11/15/90)

cs00chs@unccvax.uncc.edu (charles spell) writes:

> In article <11053@milton.u.washington.edu>, mork@blake.u.washington.edu (Davi
> >
> >    Is there a collection of PC file formats (Lotus, Paradox, etc)
> >    on the net?
>
> I have heard of a book that has PC file formats in it (forgot name, sorry).

   There was such a book. I remember it. I didn't need it then, had no use
for it, so I didn't buy it. Now I need it, and it is nowhere to be found.

   I have found a similar book, that is lighter technically. "Data
Exchange" by Steven Ross, McGraw Hill, ISBN 0-07-053923-5. It covers some
info on many word processors and a few spreadsheets.

> I am not sure how up to date it is. I am looking for a book describing
> graphics file formats also. IF anyone has any ideas please post. I am

   The book "Bit-Mapped Graphics", by Steve Rimmer, Windcrest, ISBN
0-8306-3558-0, covers many of the graphics formats, including code for
file viewers. It is rather light on TIFF. It also covers how the PC
wants graphics data. I found this book very useful, even though I only
wanted to write graphics to an unsupported VGA mode.

<> "Aneth!  That's a charming place!" "You've been to Aneth?"
<> "Yes, but not yet." -- The Doctor and Seth, "The Horns of Nimon".
><
<> "Sanity check!" "Sorry, we can't accept it, it's from out of state." - me