[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MS Windows 3 & Lan Manager: information wanted

jake@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Luca Polo) (11/13/90)

Hi, netlander.
I need (a lot of) information about the Microsoft Windows 3 and (if
possible) on Lan Manager, expecially about the internals of the two
products and their capability to interact with X-Window and, more in
general, with a UNIX environment (i.e: using a diskless PC under
Windows 3 and Lan Manager - or NFS - both under MS DOS and UNIX, using
the UNIX system as lan server).

I will appreciate any kind of information you can send to me.
Thank you in advance,
					L. Polo

   _____  ___        ___     +-----------------------------------------+
     |   |   | |  / |        |        "Considerate la vostra semenza:  |
     |   |---| |-<  |--      |    fatti non foste, a viver come bruti, |
  \__|   |   | |  \ |___     |    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza." |
  Luca Polo @ DEI PADOVA     |    (Dante - Inf. XXVI, 118 - 120)       |
_____________________________|_________________________________________|
Internet address   jake@alessia.dei.unipd.it

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (11/16/90)

In article <7293@alessia.dei.unipd.it> (Luca Polo) writes:
>Hi, netlander.
>I need (a lot of) information about the Microsoft Windows 3 and (if
>possible) on Lan Manager, expecially about the internals of the two
>products and their capability to interact with X-Window and, more in
>general, with a UNIX environment (i.e: using a diskless PC under
>Windows 3 and Lan Manager - or NFS - both under MS DOS and UNIX, using
>the UNIX system as lan server).

Microsoft Windows 3.0 has built-in support for LAN Manager...this should
come as no surprise, since MS built both of them.  AT&T rewrote LAN Man
under UNIX and has since licensed that code to NCR, Unisys, Data General,
Olivetti, ICL, and others.  One nice feature is that AT&T's StarGROUP
Software LAN Manager Server (hey, shorten that name, will you?), is that
it comes with Kermit, and you can do a 'set port net SERVERNAME' and
then connect to the server as, say a VT102.  Ah, I can have my DOS and
UNIX too!  If you were to get an X11 emulator, such as PC Xsite, you could
have that software as an Icon on Win3.0, double click and login to your
UNIX server, fire up the XClient and off you go!

AT&T also sells diskless PC's with LAN Manager/OSI transport boot PROMS.

...and, yes, you can have TCP/IP co-reside and do NFS - all on the same
server...as well as support for Apple LocalTalk Macintosh Clients, etc.

As you can see, I like the product and am looking forward to working with
it.
|  Carlo Milono:  netcom!cmilono@apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |