[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Their Finest Hour

ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) (11/09/90)

Has anyone played the above game? A friend of mine left it on the PC
in his office which has now fallen to me. It looks like a pretty nice
game but after a couple of minutes it asks me to tune my radio using a
tuning wheel with three numbers on it. Since I haven't been able to
find any documentation I don't exactly understand what it's asking of
me. I suspect it may be some type of protection against pirating? If
this is the case I suspect that I'll have to see if my friend left the
documentation, he did leave me the original disks!

   If anyone can help I'd appreciate it! The game looks intense, which
is the way I like 'em.

Thanks and please email if possible,
--
Gary Hennigan
+  e-mail: ghenniga@NMSU.Edu, henninsf@maxwel.NMSU.Edu                      +

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/11/90)

In article <GHENNIGA.90Nov8201236@tesla.nmsu.edu> ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) writes:

>Has anyone played the above game? A friend of mine left it on the PC
>in his office which has now fallen to me. It looks like a pretty nice
>game but after a couple of minutes it asks me to tune my radio using a
>tuning wheel with three numbers on it. Since I haven't been able to

Exactly.  There is a complex paper wheel thingie that has the anti-piracy
codes on it.  Can't do much without it, and it's a REAL pain even if you
do have it.  Gotta "re-tune" anytime ya start a new mission, even without
quitting the game.

Nice otherwise, though.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (11/15/90)

>Exactly.  There is a complex paper wheel thingie that has the anti-piracy
>codes on it.  Can't do much without it, and it's a REAL pain even if you
>do have it.  Gotta "re-tune" anytime ya start a new mission, even without
>quitting the game.

That's funny, I have to re-tune only if I switch planes. As long as
I fly the same plane (e.g. Bf 109) I do not have to re-tune when
I start a new mission.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP CPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/15/90)

Notwithstanding recent misguided warnigs, does anyone know of a
copy protection removal program that works on "Their Finest Hour"
(for legally acquired copies only, of course).
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (11/15/90)

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>Notwithstanding recent misguided warnigs, does anyone know of a
>copy protection removal program that works on "Their Finest Hour"
>(for legally acquired copies only, of course).
>--
>Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
>919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

If you have a legally aquired copy you don't need to remove the copy
protection from "Their Finest Hour". Tuning a radio before each mission
to a coded frequency is very much in line with the reality of the simulation.
This game is worth buying. The manual you get is a history of BOB battles and
is worth the price of admission.

Ajai.

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (11/16/90)

In article <ajai.658681417@rigel.sce.carleton.ca> ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:
>mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>
>>Notwithstanding recent misguided warnigs, does anyone know of a
>>copy protection removal program that works on "Their Finest Hour"
>>(for legally acquired copies only, of course).
>>--
>>Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
>>919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu
>
>If you have a legally aquired copy you don't need to remove the copy
>protection from "Their Finest Hour". Tuning a radio before each mission
>to a coded frequency is very much in line with the reality of the simulation.
>This game is worth buying. The manual you get is a history of BOB battles and
>is worth the price of admission.
>
>Ajai.

Yeah, but tuning the radio is a real pain in the ass.  Don't try to justify
the copy protection by arguing that it makes the game more realistic.  We
all know that that argument is bs.

There's a new version of BoB coming out.  Due to user demand, this version
will let you shoot the parachutes. :-)

|Brian Hoffman								|
|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
|Quote:	"A red sky at night may be a shepard's delight, but you're 	|

kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) (11/16/90)

In article <4828@bwdls58.UUCP>, mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
> In article <GHENNIGA.90Nov8201236@tesla.nmsu.edu> ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) writes:

 >>Has anyone played the above game? A friend of mine left it on the PC
 >>in his office which has now fallen to me. It looks like a pretty nice
 >>game but after a couple of minutes it asks me to tune my radio using a
 >>tuning wheel with three numbers on it. Since I haven't been able to

 >Exactly.  There is a complex paper wheel thingie that has the anti-piracy
 >codes on it.  Can't do much without it, and it's a REAL pain even if you
 >do have it.  Gotta "re-tune" anytime ya start a new mission, even without
 >quitting the game.

     I have a game called "Star-Flight" from Electronic Arts that uses
the same thing.  Pretty neat game, and I don't mind having to pick out
the "access code" to open the docking-bay doors.  One of the few games
that are interesting enough to hold my attention without
making me feel uncoordinated.

     Unfortunately, these types of games would seem rather useless without
the wheel.  Look around the office if you can, it should be a round heavy
paper or light cardboard disk about 6 inches across.

--
						Port'naybl

key!beep!kris
woodowl!beep!kris

"Look what they've done to my program, look what they've done to my code;
 They stuck it all on this floppy disk, and I think they got it wrong, ma..."