[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Problem w/386 - is slow

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (11/12/90)

Intresting Problem:

 One day I turned on my 386/25, the usual memory check clicks 3 times a second
while it displays the memory count, but today it clicked at the rate of 1/sec.

 When I press escape to bypass the memory check, instead of hearing the usual
purr, is more sounded like a fart.

 I tried restarting several times, once I even got a parity error and once a
CMOS error. The computer still works, just a little slower.

 BTW, When I take the machine out of turbo mode, it clicks even slower.

 ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
----
Mark Solsman
The Pennsylvania State University - Worthington Campus, Scranton, Pa.
Bitnet   : MHS108 at PSUVM
Internet : MHS108 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU

dlh@polari.UUCP (d h) (11/13/90)

In article <90315.214214MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
>Intresting Problem:
>
> One day I turned on my 386/25, the usual memory check clicks 3 times a second
>while it displays the memory count, but today it clicked at the rate of 1/sec.

I had a similar problem with my 25Mhz 386AT one day. The problem turned out to
be that something had corrupted my CMOS settings.  What I did was go into the
CMOS monitor program and play with the clock settings. At least on my machine,
you are allowed to select sys clock, sysclock/2, or bus clock to run the bus and
memory.

You might try it.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/14/90)

In article <90315.214214MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
>Intresting Problem:
>
> One day I turned on my 386/25, the usual memory check clicks 3 times a second
>while it displays the memory count, but today it clicked at the rate of 1/sec.
>
> When I press escape to bypass the memory check, instead of hearing the usual
>purr, is more sounded like a fart.
>
> I tried restarting several times, once I even got a parity error and once a
>CMOS error. The computer still works, just a little slower.
>
> BTW, When I take the machine out of turbo mode, it clicks even slower.
>
> ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
>----
>Mark Solsman
>The Pennsylvania State University - Worthington Campus, Scranton, Pa.
>Bitnet   : MHS108 at PSUVM
>Internet : MHS108 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU

Sounds like an AMI bios. Try using the CMOS setup and verifying that the
shadow ram locations are all enabled.

Apparently the ROM bios is VERY slow, and unless you shadow it, it runs quite
slow.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/14/90)

In article <90315.214214MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
>Intresting Problem:
>
> One day I turned on my 386/25, the usual memory check clicks 3 times a second
>while it displays the memory count, but today it clicked at the rate of 1/sec.
>
> When I press escape to bypass the memory check, instead of hearing the usual
>purr, is more sounded like a fart.
>
> I tried restarting several times, once I even got a parity error and once a
>CMOS error. The computer still works, just a little slower.
>
> BTW, When I take the machine out of turbo mode, it clicks even slower.
>
> ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Sounds like you have an AMI bios. Go into the CMOS setup and verify that the
shadow ram is enabled for everything.

Apparently the ROM bios is very slow and you need to enable the shadow so it
can execute out of ram (much faster).

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (11/16/90)

In an article dlh@polari.UUCP (d h) wrote:
>MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
>> One day I turned on my 386/25, the usual memory check clicks 3 times a second
>>while it displays the memory count, but today it clicked at the rate of 1/sec.

>I had a similar problem with my 25Mhz 386AT one day. The problem turned out to
>be that something had corrupted my CMOS settings.  What I did was go into the
>CMOS monitor program and play with the clock settings. At least on my machine,
>you are allowed to select sys clock, sysclock/2, or bus clock to run the bus
>and memory.

What you need to change is the setting for shadowing the BIOS rom into ram.
The power-on-self-test is in the BIOS rom, and the hardware supports
automatically copying it to ram, which runs a lot faster.  Ditto for video
BIOS.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."