[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Maintaining documentation...

userDHAL@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (David Halliwell) (11/16/90)

In article <21723@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, tubbsk@ure.CS.ORST.EDU (Ken Tubbs) writes:
>I am in the unenviable position of having to maintain two sets of
>documentation for a rather extensive C library.  One set is a Norton
>Guides database and the other set is in WordPerfect.  Given the

[odds and ends deleted]

>of the documentation and an electronic/online version.  The goal is
>to have one set of files which can produce both an online and
>printable version of the documentation.  Such alternatives might

I'm not familiar with the format for the Norton Guides, but would it
be possible to use WordPerfect's PTR program to set up your own printer
definition? The idea would be to get WordPerfect to format the output
in the manner needed for Norton. I've ony used PTR for WP4.2, but
the procedure for setting up a printer driver essentially requires
specification of the printer control codes. You might be able to
specify the necessary information for Norton in the WP driver, then
output from WP to a file instead of a printer port. All editing could then
be done in WP, with output either to the laser printer or the online
database file.

Just a thought. (That's when I'm most dangerous.)

Dave Halliwell

To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
(From one of the "Murphy's Law" books.)