[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Reading PRN:-port

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) (11/01/90)

Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
MS-DOS machine. For example when I connect 2 computer via this port,
how can I make them talk?

Joep,

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception    Phone : +31 34 63 562 11
P.O. Box 23          		Fax   : +31 34 63 539 77
3769 ZG  Soesterberg    	E-mail: uunet!hp4nl.nluug.nl!tnosoes!joep
The Netherlands         	    or: joep@izf.tno.nl

js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) (11/01/90)

From article <1393@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, by joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen):
> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
                                     ^^^^
If you look in the schematics for any parallel you will find it is a one way
set of registers.  the only line that comes in is some sort of acknowledge
line.
   Therefore you have two choices: make you own bidirectional parallel port
(5 or 6 chips, with buffers and 8-bit gates) or use the serial port.  If you
really want to build one, I've done it and have the schematics running around
someplace...

- Jeff Shorey

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (11/02/90)

Others said:

>> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
>                                     ^^^^
>If you look in the schematics for any parallel you will find it is a one way
>set of registers.  the only line that comes in is some sort of acknowledge
>line.

Sigh..
I think this topic belongs in the in the MFAQ list.

The genuine I-BEAM parallel port on the XT lacked one jumper from, as I
recall, the command decoder to the bus latches. This seemed to smell of
a last minute marketing decision to disable it. It's easy to add.
I did, but so long ago I cannot recall details.

Most clone boards are bidirectional.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/05/90)

In article <1150@cameron.egr.duke.edu> js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) writes:
$From article <1393@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, by joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen):
$> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
$                                     ^^^^
$If you look in the schematics for any parallel you will find it is a one way
$set of registers.  the only line that comes in is some sort of acknowledge
$line.

   Not for _any_ parallel port.  Many of them are in fact designed to be
bidirectional.  The problem is, if you take one that isn't, you can end
up blowing it in your efforts to pump data into the computer through it.
--
HI ROGER |Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."| silver@xrtll
_________|-----------------------|_______________|------------|_____________

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (11/05/90)

In article <1393@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
> MS-DOS machine. For example when I connect 2 computer via this port,
> how can I make them talk?

There was an article about this in a recent copy of Microsoft Systems Journal.
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (11/09/90)

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:

> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
> MS-DOS machine. For example when I connect 2 computer via this port,
> how can I make them talk?
>
> Joep,

  A company called GetC Software in Vancouver, B.C. markets a
product called File Shuttle which permits high-speed transfers between
PCs using parallel ports.  The program  runs on each machine and a
hardware device they call a "rocket socket" and a standard parallel cable
are all that's needed.
  It sells for about $100 Cdn.

  The company's address is  GetC Software Inc.
                            1280 Seymour Street
                            Vancouver, B.C.  Canada
                            V6B 3N9

  Their phone number is +1 604 684-3230

Dave McCrady                     |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems          |
13324-138 Street                 |  BBS:   (403)-454-6093  300-9600 bps (HST)
Edmonton, AB Canada  T5L 2B4     |  USENET (403) 452-3254  300-2400 bps

ygrignon@sobeco.com (y.grignon) (11/16/90)

>From article <1393@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, by joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen):
> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
>                                     ^^^^
>If you look in the schematics for any parallel you will find it is a one way
>set of registers.  the only line that comes in is some sort of acknowledge
>line.

FYI on PS2's the parallel port can be made an input port by playing with
the bits at memory location 0x35 (if my memory serves me right).  On older
PC's where the parallel port is made of separate IC's, it is possible to
convert an output only port to input/output by rerouting only one trace.
Such a modification appeared in Circuit Cellar Ink (approx 1 yr ago).

Yves