[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] HELP--No sound on PC/XT

wbl@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Wen-Po Bobby Lee) (11/15/90)

Hello,

Recently I lost the sound on my ARC PC/XT.  I think I crossed the speaker pins
but I am not sure which.  I tested the speaker and it works fine.  Does anyone
know what I can do.  Did I fry a chip or something?  If so, which?  Please
respond by E-mail.  Thanks in advance.

--Bobby Lee

kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.052618.2140@agate.berkeley.edu>, wbl@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Wen-Po Bobby Lee) writes:
> Hello,

> Recently I lost the sound on my ARC PC/XT.  I think I crossed the speaker pins
> but I am not sure which.  I tested the speaker and it works fine.  Does anyone
> know what I can do.  Did I fry a chip or something?  If so, which?

     On my XT clone (Fry's Electronic "Compustar") the speaker is driven by
a little transistor that smoked when I accidently shorted the speaker leads
together.  Try looking near the speaker connector for a transistor or use a
ohmmeter or a "light-probe" to find the PC(pun not intended) board trace
that connects to the speaker connector.  One side should go to power or
ground, I'm not sure which.

     I trust you've already re-seating the speaker connector and check for
broken wires at the connector(not always as obvious as it may sound).

--
						Port'naybl

key!beep!kris
woodowl!beep!kris

"Look what they've done to my program, look what they've done to my code;
 They stuck it all on this floppy disk, and I think they got it wrong, ma..."