[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] apple ][ emulation - how are disk images created?

allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) (11/17/90)

In article <39694@ut-emx.uucp>, allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
> Does any one know how to create a disk image file from an apple ][
> disk (I will assume that making a serial connection between an Apple
> ][ and a PC is the easy part)?  Is there any way to read an apple ][
> disk directly in a pc drive?

I have not received any helpful information yet, but I am posting this
notice because of the large number of people that have sent me mail,
because they want to know the same thing.  I am going to post the same
inquiry to an appropriate apple news group(s) in that hope that some
of the apple ][ wizards will know what to do.

It seems to me that it would be easy if there were an apple ][ program
that would do a block by block binary read of the and dump the info over a
serial cable to a PC.  The PC would only need to forward everything
coming in on the serial cable into a file.  A nice short direct serial
connection would remove the need for any type of error correcting
protocol.  I suppose the same thing would work even faster between
parallel ports, if the PC had bidirectional ports.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

sunyat@pawl.rpi.edu (Eric Hsiao) (11/17/90)

Hmmm..it would be really interesting running some of Apple's most popular games
back in the early eighties (Taxman, Captain Goodnight, Rescue Raiders, Choplifter,
etc.).  Some of these games never received IBM ports.  I guess if the
emulator can run these games, than it's a "true" apple emulator.
Hopefully, there's an answer out there on how to create the
image files.
                     Eric

--
| Internet: Eric_Hsiao@MTS.RPI.EDU > Read GIF News - a freely copied news  < |
|           sunyat@PAWL.RPI.EDU    > magazine in .GIF file format.  Color  < |

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (11/20/90)

>>   Is there any way to read an apple ][ disk directly in a pc drive?
I have a Trackstar board for sale.  It goes into an PC machine and
will let you use the PC's hardware and an external Apple disk drive.
It can use some brands of 360K PC drives directly.  This board is a
co-processor, so it continues to run while you use MSDOS.  A hot-key
will switch you back and forth.  If you are interested, I have a
packet of info that I can send to you.  The price is $250, and the
board is new in original box.  Send email to fordke@ingr.com.