[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Getting memory added

jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) (11/19/90)

I have a clone motherboard with 4 megs of SIPPS in it.  I want to add
2 more megs but am having trouble.  The machine is a 386 20 MHz with
the C&T chip set and pheonix ROMS.  The computer does not seem
to want to acknowledge the additional memory.   It just test the orginal
4 Megs on powerup and then if I set the SETUP to reflect the additional
memory it says invaild memory configuration,  run setup.  So how do I get
it to know the memory is present?

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/21/90)

In article <12080@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
>I have a clone motherboard with 4 megs of SIPPS in it.  I want to add
>2 more megs but am having trouble.  The machine is a 386 20 MHz with
>the C&T chip set and pheonix ROMS.  The computer does not seem
>to want to acknowledge the additional memory.   It just test the orginal
>4 Megs on powerup and then if I set the SETUP to reflect the additional
>memory it says invaild memory configuration,  run setup.  So how do I get
>it to know the memory is present?

How big are the SIPP's? If they are 1M X 8 each, then you probably need to add
4 at a time because the 386(DX) requires a 32 bit data path. Adding only 2
SIPP's makes for a 16 bit wide path.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254