[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] How to check HP Laserjet IIP Serial Port: Doesn't work with

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (11/20/90)

Imran Anwar writes that he is having trouble making his Macintosh
print on his HP LaserJet IIP. One of the tests he performed was
to use the same serial cable to connect to a modem successfully.
From this he inferred that the cable and port are working properly.

That turns out not to be the case. As a matter of fact, if you
connected to a modem successfully through this cable, I can
pretty much guarantee that cable won't work with a printer.
Modems are DCEs, printers and computers are DTEs. You need
a null modem cable to connect a printer (or terminal) to a
computer, and a straight through cable to connect to a modem.

Go to your computer dealer and get a Mac -> Imagewriter cable.

Henry B. Messenger           STEVE   REICH   ^   THE   DESERT   MUSIC
henry_burdett_messenger@     MICHEAL  TILSON  THOMAS    ^   CONDUCTOR
   cup.portal.com            Steve Reich  and  Musicians  with Chorus
                             and members of the brooklyn philharmonic
                             text     ^     william  carlos  williams

In article <36080@cup.portal.com> Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com writes:
>Imran Anwar writes that he is having trouble making his Macintosh
>print on his HP LaserJet IIP. One of the tests he performed was
>to use the same serial cable to connect to a modem successfully.
>From this he inferred that the cable and port are working properly.
>
>That turns out not to be the case. As a matter of fact, if you
>connected to a modem successfully through this cable, I can
>pretty much guarantee that cable won't work with a printer.
>Modems are DCEs, printers and computers are DTEs. You need
>a null modem cable to connect a printer (or terminal) to a
>computer, and a straight through cable to connect to a modem.
>
>Go to your computer dealer and get a Mac -> Imagewriter cable.

Should add that this is the Mac -> ORIGINAL Imagewriter cable-- the
ImageWriter II cable is a mini-DIN 8 to mini-DIN 8