[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SIMM chips in a PS2/30--upgradeable?

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (11/20/90)

Hello world,
My PS2/30 has two SIMM chip modules that together make up 640KB of base
memory.  I have an old model 30 (ie 8088 chip) in this machine and i am
wondering if i could purchase some 1 MB x 1 SIMM chips and put 2 MB on my
motherboard? can this be done and have the computer work? will it recognize
 the extra memory?  i friend told me that 8088 cannot access anything beyond 1
MB, is this true?

thanks for all the help (in advance)

--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.221638.15219@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) writes:
>Hello world,
>motherboard? can this be done and have the computer work? will it recognize
> the extra memory?  i friend told me that 8088 cannot access anything beyond 1
>MB, is this true?

Your friend was right. There is no point in increasing the memory on the
motherboard to >1Meg (I doubt you can do it though). The only extra memory
that can be used by 8088 based boxes is EMS (or LIM) which requires a special
memory card.

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300