[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Unusual Problems with 1024x768 Non-Interlaced Operation

noring@vaxr.llnl.gov (11/20/90)

I am presently experiencing difficulties in getting my pc to correctly
display 1024x768 non-interlaced (both 16 and 256 colors).  What happens
is that the image is "snowy", that is, there's a lot of the pixels that
are blinking on and off (I don't know the percentage doing this, but
it doesn't take many to make the picture look bad).  I don't have any
problems if I run the system in interlaced mode (done simply by toggling
a switch on the video board), or if I run at a resolution of 800x600
or lower (either interlaced or non-interlaced).  Here's a detailed
description of the components:

Mother board:  Omnitel 386-33
Video board :  Orchid Pro-Designer II with 1 Mb.
Monitor     :  Sony  (I don't remember the number (?1304), but it's the new
                      one that is capable of 1024x768 non-interlaced operation).

The applications where I've experienced this occurence are FRACTINT 14.0
and CSHOW (displaying 1024x768x256 GIF's).  I run Windows 3.0 at 1024x768,
but I just realized that I haven't tested this problem in Windows.

What I've tried so far (based on recommendations by technicians at Orchid
and Omnitel) are:

1)  Replaced the Orchid video board.  Nothing changed.
2)  Moved the Orchid video board from a 16 bit slot to an 8 bit slot,
    nothing changed (the technician at Orchid interpreted this to mean
    that the problem is not in the video board, but is probably in the
    mother board or maybe even the monitor).

What I haven't yet tried:

1)  A different monitor.
2)  A different motherboard.

Any suggestions?  Is there an inherent incompatibility between these
components?  Thank you.

Jon Noring

allanh@netcom.UUCP (Allan N. Hessenflow) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.131423.1@vaxr.llnl.gov>, noring@vaxr.llnl.gov writes:
> I am presently experiencing difficulties in getting my pc to correctly
> display 1024x768 non-interlaced (both 16 and 256 colors).  What happens
> is that the image is "snowy", that is, there's a lot of the pixels that
> are blinking on and off (I don't know the percentage doing this, but
>
> Video board :  Orchid Pro-Designer II with 1 Mb.

It's extremely unlikely that either the monitor or motherboard are causing
the problem; it's almost certainly the video board, despite the fact that
a second card does the same thing.  I'd guess that the design is a bit flaky
at the speed needed for 1024x768 non-interlaced, and it may take quite a few
boards to find one that works.

--
Allan N. Hessenflow   {apple|claris}!netcom!allanh    allanh@netcom.uucp