[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Stargoose now available

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (11/16/90)

I have uploaded Stargoose to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, and submitted it to
the binaries list (I forgot the exact name - comp.sys.ibm.binaries????)
Anyway, it should appear on the list soon.  I uploaded the file to the
/incoming directory of grape.

sounds, and it's a lot of fun, too!  It doesn't do Adlib or super VGA, but
once you see this game, you won't care.  BTW, this game is very similar to
some real arcade games out there.  I can't remember which ones, but maybe
someone will recognize it.  If so, could that someone post a message saying
what the game is like?

------------------------------------------------------------ The Time Traveler
Your daddy works in porno
Now that mommy's not around                                 timur@seas.gwu.edu
She used to love her heroin                               HE891C@GWUVM.GWU.EDU
But now she's underground              - Guns N' Roses

wjb@moscom.UUCP (Bill de Beaubien) (11/20/90)

In article <2354@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>I have uploaded Stargoose to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, and submitted it to
>the binaries list (I forgot the exact name - comp.sys.ibm.binaries????)
>Anyway, it should appear on the list soon.  I uploaded the file to the
>/incoming directory of grape.

>sounds, and it's a lot of fun, too!  It doesn't do Adlib or super VGA, but
>once you see this game, you won't care.  BTW, this game is very similar to
>some real arcade games out there.  I can't remember which ones, but maybe
>someone will recognize it.  If so, could that someone post a message saying
>what the game is like?

First of all, I bought this game from Electronic Boutique a couple weeks
ago.  At least, I bought a game with this name, and the description seems
to fit.  Therefore, I'm not at all sure it's free-ware (I'm inclined to
doubt it, but I don't have the manual in front of me).

Second of all, regarding the sound:  Yes, it's good.  Quite nice, for PC's.
Unfortunately, the sound is done by speeding up the system clock;  it's quite
possible to speed up the system clock to do sound with no problem... Basic
does it, as do various other programs.  However, it's necessary to take over
updating the time stored in memory yourself when you do this, rather than
let the standard time routines do it.  I was rather disturbed when I
checked the time on my PC and I was about 15 hours fast... I finally
traced the problem to this game.

Bill
--
Bill de Beaubien / wjb@moscom.com

2113av@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (John Porter) (11/21/90)

Yes, not only does Stargoose take over the system clock without responsibly
maintaining the real-time clock accordingly, it fails to set the rate
back to normal upon termination!!!  Was I ever surprised to see Telix'
dial countdown proceeding at 4 seconds per second!
My biggest gripe about Stargoose is that there is an intro screen, with
scrolling credits like a tv show (very slick, I must say), that last
almost as long as a three-life game (at least for a novice like me).
Isn't there a way to escape from the credits directly to the game?
When you're just learning a game, it's pretty damn frustrating to have to
sit through a 60-some-odd-second intro every three all-too-brief lives.
--jp.