[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] OS's and Interactive Usage Response Times

ed@alt.dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (11/21/90)

m1phm02@fed.frb.gov (Patrick H. McAllister) writes:

>               ... Someone posted a followup about how much they got
>"free" off the MIT distribution -- having played with some of that
>stuff, it seems to me that it is only free if you are not the person
>paying for the hours of time required to port it (unless you happen to
>be running the same type of machine as the author -- in spite of the
>"portability" of UNIX software, somehow I find myself having to do
>some porting on about half of the stuff I get).

I find that once you've gotten used to having source code at your
disposal it is hard to go back to shrink-wrapped software.  However,
I wouldn't try to push the idea of "do-it-yourself" on the average
computer user...  ;-)

>Back to the original question, about advanced technology; my
>candidate, assuming it actually works, is the way in which the
>scheduler gives priority to the task with which the user is currently
>interacting. (I say "assuming . . ." because I haven't used OS/2
>myself, but only read about it). On my Sun, I find it extremely
>frustrating to start typing away into EMACS and not even have my
>keystrokes echoed for several seconds, I assume because EMACS has
>been paged out since I have't typed anything for a little while.

Hmm.  Isn't that why they say EMACS = "Eating Memory And Constantly
Swapping"...  Too bad you haven't experienced swapping under
OS/2 - you would appreciate your Sun more... :-/

>                                                                  Has
>anyone ever put a scheduler into UNIX that is designed to maximize
>interactive responsiveness for a single user, rather than to maximize
>total system throughput?

Why change the scheduler?  Have you tried /bin/ed?  On my System V/386
the binary is a mere 33K and is *blazingly* fast!  Your fellow users
will love you for using it!  ;-)

        Ed Braaten            |  "... Man looks at the outward appearance,
Work: ed@imuse.de.intel.com   |  but the Lord looks at the heart."
Home: ed@alt.dah.sub.org      |                        1 Samuel 16:7b