[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wanted: Advice on Buying 386SX

wongl@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Glenn N Woodland) (11/20/90)

Thanks again for all of you giving us help. Right now we are becoming
somewhat more experinced :-) Here is just another question concering
the memory expansion.

Currently, we have two similar offers from two dealers. One machine is
in a compact desktop case and has maximum 2MB memory on the motherboard,
but besides 3 8bit and 5 16 bit slots, it has a special high speed slot,
which, according the dealer, is for a special memory card up to
additional 8MB. So it could be expanded up to 10MB. Another one is in
a mini-tower case and has maximum 4MB memory on the mainboard. However,
it has no any other expansion slot for memory, i.e. its memmory limit
is 4MB.

We would like to hear advice on which machine we should buy.  Also is
there any cheap memory card for the high speed slot? Right now for us,
2MB is the minimum requirement and the software dealer suggested us having
a 386SX and as many memory as possible.

Please reply by email. Thanks in advance.

-Glenn

PS: I misquoted the power supply in my last articles, it's 180W and should
    be OK.

fac7@dayton.saic.com (Steven Poling) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.023857.13881@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>, wongl@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Glenn N Woodland) writes:
> Currently, we have two similar offers from two dealers. One machine is
> in a compact desktop case and has maximum 2MB memory on the motherboard,
> but besides 3 8bit and 5 16 bit slots, it has a special high speed slot,
> which, according the dealer, is for a special memory card up to
> additional 8MB. So it could be expanded up to 10MB. Another one is in
> a mini-tower case and has maximum 4MB memory on the mainboard. However,
> it has no any other expansion slot for memory, i.e. its memmory limit
> is 4MB.

Glen, Before you sink your money into these machines make sure you are making
the correct decision.  I own my own company (very small) and have been
assembling clone AT/386/XT machines for the past 3 years.  The 386sx's
I put together hold a total of 8mb of ram on the motherboard and this should be
what you are looking for, not a board that only holds 2 or 4 and you have
to add a memory card... Please e-Mail me with the prices of the systems you
are looking at and let me see what they are giving you.. best.  steve

Steven Poling /___ /___/ / /   Science Applications International Corporation
             ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: poling@dayton.saic.com