[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Which SCSI drive/controller for PC using as Novell server?

my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (11/19/90)

Hi,
	I would like to get some recommendation from the Net
about which SCSI drive(s) and/or SCSI Controller(s) to buy for
a 386 PC (Dell).

	I am planning of installing one disk controller in the
PC that will be running Novell Netware 386/3.1.  And I figure
that a SCSI controller and SCSI disk will be my logical choice.
I have heard of the Adpatac SCSI controller, the Western Digital
FAST-2 SCSI controller, does anyone have info/comments on those
controllers?  How about SCSI drives?  I think that Fujitsu makes
a SCSI drive with 660MByte with 5 years of warrant.  Can someone
provide some info/comment on the drive?  Does the Fujitsu drive
work with either Adaptac or WD SCSI controller for PCs?  Have
about Novell disk drivers?

	Many thanks.

-- Mike
   my@dtg.nsc.com

ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman Programmer) (11/22/90)

In article <1532@berlioz.nsc.com> my@berlioz.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:

>Hi,
>	I would like to get some recommendation from the Net
>about which SCSI drive(s) and/or SCSI Controller(s) to buy for
>a 386 PC (Dell).
>
>	I am planning of installing one disk controller in the
>PC that will be running Novell Netware 386/3.1.  And I figure

Unfortunatly, Netware 386 3.1 'out of the box' only supports SCSI in a strange
way. You have to use a Disk Coprocessor Board (DCB). This is not bad as long
as your SCSI drive is OK. Other controllers require a special driver from
the manufacturer. The DCB has fairly good performance, and ProComp makes
the best one IMHO. Storage Dimensions sells combination drive, board, driver
Ask if the driver is OK for 3.1.

Ed Ackerman                               | It is impossible to make anything
bdgltd!ela@dsi.com or ...!dsinc!bdgltd!ela|  foolproof beacause fools are
#include <StdDisclaimer>                  |           SO ingenious!