[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Statistical Pack.for PC

berger@atropa (Dire Wolf) (11/22/90)

arpraym@ac.dal.ca writes:
>I am looking for information on Statistical and graphical packages on the
>PC. Mostly I am interested in a good al-round statistical package, and if
>someone knows of one that has good graphing capabilities would you please
>let me know, and include the price? I'm not sure if this is the place to post

>I am a graduate student and the package should reflect the needs of a graduate
>student of possible, ( ie in it's capabilities).

*-------

S-Plus is possibly the best all-around interactive/graphic statistics package,
but it's expensive at $ 850.  You might also consider Minitab (I don't know the
full package price, but an abridged "student version" is $ 40).  Also, NCSS
is something of a bargain.  It is not well-integrated, in that it's really a
collection of many routines, but it does have most of the features of the
more expensive statistics programs, and a lot of graphics options.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (11/22/90)

In article <2302@ac.dal.ca> arpraym@ac.dal.ca writes:

>I am looking for information on Statistical and graphical packages on the
>
>PC. Mostly I am interested in a good al-round statistical package, and if
>someone knows of one that has good graphing capabilities would you please
>let me know, and include the price? I'm not sure if this is the place to post
>this request, but I couldn't find a IBM.PC.APP news.
>
>I am a graduate student and the package should reflect the needs of a graduate
>student of possible, ( ie in it's capabilities).

I recommend a package called Stata.  Currently in version 2.1,
it's a very well-written package.  Strong points:

	- Unix version available, so skills you learn while using a
	PC while at graduate school won't be wasted when you start
	solving Real Problems and need more horsepower,
	- PC version uses EMS nicely, so pushing size of datasets
	is convenient,
	- does graphics to screen and printer, but the quality of
	pictures is not spectacular. It comes with a graphics
	editor program to edit the pictures further.
	- roughly one order of magnitude faster than SAS on doing
	anything,
	- Good set of base off-the-shelf statistical tools, and
	convenient ways to write your own tools.

Telephone number: 1-800-STATAPC
Call 'em!

(Just a satisfied customer)

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.