[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Experience with Seiko 1440?

lchen@cs.ubc.ca (Lee Li-Jen Chen) (10/23/90)

Hi:
Does anyone has experience with Seiko 1440 SuperVGA monitor?
I would like to get some opinions on this monitor.
Please e-mail or post your response; thank you in advance.

(FYI: It is a 14'', 0.25 mm, color VGA monitor.)

Lee 1990 10 23

Lee Chen <lchen@cs.ubc.ca>      Vancouver, BC, Canada

jbraun@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (James S Braun) (11/22/90)

lchen@cs.ubc.ca (Lee Li-Jen Chen) writes:

>Hi:
>Does anyone has experience with Seiko 1440 SuperVGA monitor?
>I would like to get some opinions on this monitor.
>Please e-mail or post your response; thank you in advance.

>(FYI: It is a 14'', 0.25 mm, color VGA monitor.)

>Lee Chen <lchen@cs.ubc.ca>      Vancouver, BC, Canada

The Seiko 1440 is an excellent monitor in my estimation.  It uses a Sony
Trinitron tube which is cylindrical instead of the standard spherical tube.
This gives it a "Flat screen" appearance without glare problems.  I find
that the black-level of the monitor is better than any other that I have
seen, especially compared to the IBM grey.  If you plan to use 1024xs768
resolution, I would suggest that you spend the extra $50-$100 to get the
CM-1450 which runs in non-interlaced mode in that resolution.

A few other monitors use the same tube, Sony (of course) makes a very
similar type monitor, and a company called Optiquest.  Basically, if
you see any monitor reviews, and they mention a .25 mm dot pitch, you can
bet that it uses the same tube.

If you're looking for a lower cost alternative, you may look at the new
Panasonic tube monitors, including ViewSonic.  These are nice looking
tubes for the price.

I like the first suggestion best, however, the 1440 and 1450 by Seiko are
the best I have used in a long time.  You won't regret it.

Jim Braun
jbraun@ksuvm.ksu.edu