[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ZOO and LZH file formats

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/24/90)

Hi-Ho

I am familiar with ARC and ZIP file compression, and use
them regularly.

WHere do I get a utility to uncompress LZH and ZOO files??

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/24/90)

In article <47393@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I am familiar with ARC and ZIP file compression, and use
>them regularly.
>
>WHere do I get a utility to uncompress LZH and ZOO files??

Ok, here comes again.  An extract from my FAQ (/pc/ts/tsfaq13.arc
available by anonymous ftp or mail server from uwasa.fi archives):

13. *****
 Q1: What is this file with this .zip (.arc, .lzh, .pak. .zoo)
extension? What am I supposed to do to it?
 Q2: I can't run this file I got with a .zip extension.

 A: This is a total beginner's question, but never mind. One is
supposed to start from somewhere. These files with a .zip (.arc,
.lzh, .pak. .zoo) are compressed collections of files. You are not
supposed to run a compressed entity (often also called an archive).
You are supposed to unpack it first to extract the files from within
the package. For this you need the relevant (un)packing program. You
can find them in the /pc/pd2 and /pc/arcers directories at the
anonymous ftp site uwasa.fi, or at practically any fine bulletin
board. (After you have gotten them, they are very easy to process,
since most often these utilities are self-extracting). At the time
of writing this we have eg
  arc602.exe      SEA's packing/unpacking system.
  lh114b.exe      Dense compression from Japan, (hacked?) version
  lh113de.exe     Latest attested version for .lzh compression
  pak250.exe      NoGate (un)packing for .pak and .arc files
  pk361.exe       This packed and unpacked .arc files fast
  pkz110eu.exe    PKZIP/PKUNZIP "Euroversion" with no encryption
  zoo201.exe      Zoo packing/unpacking facility from Rahul Dhesi
Once you are well familiar with unpacking and packing, there is an
excellent shell for running these utilities. It is called SHEZ and
is in version /pc/pd2/shez59.zip at the time I wrote this item.
   Another advanced feature once you get the hang of this, is that
(most of) these are available in the Unix environment, as well. See
the /unix/ts directory at uwasa.fi for the Unix versions.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.3, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply, and you wouldn't
be able to utilize the mail server anyway.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/25/90)

In article <47393@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
$Hi-Ho

   You called?  :-)

$WHere do I get a utility to uncompress LZH and ZOO files??

   To work with LZH files, you need LHarc.  There's a version available
somewhere on Simtel20 for DOS; alternatively, I'd be happy to email a
copy to anyone who needs it.  I also have the source code for the Unix
version and can mail that out; keep in mind that you'll probably have to
hack at it a bit to get it to compile, though.  If you ask me for a copy,
you'll need uudecode to get at the DOS version, and uudecode, uncompress
and tar to get at the Unix one.

   The program for manipulating ZOO archives is ZOO.  Versions are available
for nearly every system under the sun; once again, you can find a DOS
version somewhere on Simtel20.  Don't ask me for a copy of this one; I
have a really old copy somewhere but I don't feel like uploading it.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always