[net.ham-radio] request for info on scanner info sources

jhs%Mitre-Bedford@d3unix.UUCP (08/01/85)

A friend has asked me to try to obtain a list of the "10-codes" that
the police use in radio communications.  I once had such a list but
can't find it at present.

Could someone on the net supply the complete list, or a source in which
I could find it?

Also, a few references to publications that give information on local users
of VHF/UHF radio frequencies, codes like the 10-codes, special jargon, etc.,
would be appreciated.  All of this is for an elderly gentleman whose main
interest is his scanner but who lacks information with which to appreciate
all that he hears.  A few key publications would probably get him off to a
good start.

Thanks for any assistance that is forthcoming.

						-John Sangster, W3IKG

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (08/04/85)

Here is a copy of a past posting on this subject.  I recommend
your friend buy the book "Monitor America."

	     HOW DO YOU	FIND THESE FREQUENCIES?
			  Part I:
      Books, Magazines,	Government Records, and	Clubs

		     Bob Parnass, AJ9S

I am often asked, "How do you find these frequencies?" Scan-
ner   enthusiasts  can	obtain	frequency  information	from
several	 sources,  including  books,  government  microfiche
records, or other listeners.

			   Books

The most convenient source of fire and police frequencies is
the  Police  Call  Radio  Guide,  published  each  year	in 9
regional volumes by Hollins Radio Data,	and  sold  at  Radio
Shack  and  larger book	stores for about $7.  Police Call is
basically a computer printout of FCC license information  in
the  fire, police, local government, and conservation servi-
ces in two lists: by licensee name within state, and by	fre-
quency.	  Later	 editions have included	a few pages of local
airport	and nonsensitive federal government frequencies.

I highly recommend Richard  Prelinger's	 new  book,  Monitor
America,  published  by	 SMB  Publishing, and available	from
Grove Enterprises for about $15.  This single edition conta-
ins 582	pages of police, fire, local government, news media,
sports,	national park, and commercial broadcast	 frequencies
for all	50 states.  The	information was	compiled mainly	from
members	of the world's largest scanning	club, the Radio	Com-
munications  Monitoring	Association (RCMA).  Monitor America
contains detailed communications system	 profiles  and	pre-
cinct  maps  for  major	metropolitan areas.  Police and	fire
radio codes and	unit identifiers unique	 to  local  agencies
are  listed  for  several  cities.  This differs from Police
Call, which gives a more sterile, but uniform  treatment  of
licensees, listing even	the smallest of	towns.

The most readily available source of sensitive US government
frequencies  is	 still	Tom  Kneitel's	168  page Top Secret
Registry of US Government Radio	Frequencies.   Published  by
CRB Research, the 5th edition is available from	Galaxy Elec-
tronics	(Box 1202, 67 Eber Ave., Akron,	Ohio) for about	$15.
Kneitel's  book	 contains frequency listings for NASA, mili-
tary,  FBI,  Secret  Service,  DEA,  IRS,   Border   Patrol,
arsenals,  ammunition  plants,	missile	sites, and others in
the 25 to 470 MHz range.  Since	the US government no  longer
offers	frequency  information for its own stations, and has
never published	sensitive frequencies, most of the  informa-
tion  in  Kneitel's  book  has been collected from listeners
over the years.	 It is	certainly  not	complete,  nor	100%
accurate,  but	is the best book in print for this difficult
to obtain information.

			 Magazines

Although national in circulation, local	 frequency  informa-
tion  is sometimes available in	Grove's	Monitoring Times and
Kneitel's sensationalistic Popular Communications.

		     Government	Records

Every year, the	US Government sells FCC	license	information,
in  the	 form  of  microfiche,	to the public through the US
Department of Commerce National	Technical  Information	Ser-
vice (NTIS).

These lists contain license information	for  the  industrial
(e.g.	Illinois  Armored  Car,	 Pinkerton's Security, Joe's
Towing,	etc.), highway	maintenance,  commercial  broadcast,
aviation,  common carrier, and maritime	services, as well as
for police and fire.  Microfiche is not	for the	casual	hob-
byist,	but  rather  for the ardent listener, who can easily
spend a	few hundred dollars for	the fiche, not including the
price of a microfiche reader.

Copies of some of the FCC microfiche files are sold by Grove
Enterprises.   Buying  from  Grove  is	usually	cheaper	than
buying directly	from NTIS, although Grove doesn't offer	 all
the files available from the government.

Since federal government radio stations	are not	licensed  by
the  FCC, they are not listed in FCC microfiche.  In 1981, a
group of 60 radio hobbyists split a $1300 fee, and  obtained
80 microfiche cards of 'sanitized' information about federal
government radio stations under	the Freedom  of	 Information
Act (FOIA)1.  Only 12 of the 21	information fields for	each
station	 were furnished.  Fields like "Remarks", which indi-
cate the exact usage of	a  channel  (e.g.   "Sky  Marshall's
Net"),	and  "Bureau",	indicating  agency subdivision (e.g.
TAC within the USAF), were  withheld.	These  80  pages  of
microfiche are available from Grove Enterprises	for $25.  In
a step backward, the US	Government insists it will no longer
release	this type of information - it is now 'classified'2.

For a reason unknown to	this author, the government recently
released  a 1984 vintage set of	frequencies allocated to the
FAA.  Perhaps this was a mistake, because the information is
marked	'unclassified',	but all	fields are furnished, inclu-
ding some which	 indicate  security  related  usage.   Grove
sells this set of 33 microfiche	cards for about	$13.

			Radio Clubs

One of the best	parts of the hobby is sharing it with  other
radio buffs.  Trading information with other hobbyists about
frequencies, communication systems, and	receiving  equipment
is more	valuable than a	pile of	magazines.

In 20 years of being an	amateur	radio operator,	 and  belon-
ging to	amateur	radio clubs, I never realized there were any
scanner	clubs!	In 1983, I joined the world's largest  scan-
ner  club,  the	 Radio Communications Monitoring Association
(RCMA).

Founded	in 1975, the RCMA is the "first	national and  inter-
national organization of monitor radio listeners." There are
several	regional chapters which	hold regular meetings.	Club
dues  are $16.50 per year, which includes a monthly newslet-
ter of about 95	pages.	Although the focus is on VHF and UHF
ranges,	 there	is  coverage of	HF utility stations below 30
MHz.

Inquiries about	RCMA membership	should be sent to:

	  RCMA General Manager
	  P.O. Box 542
	  Silverado, CA	92676
	  USA

The Scanner Association	of North American (SCAN) is a  scan-
ner  organization headquartered	in Chicago.  Having no elec-
ted officers or	meetings, SCAN is not a	club in	 the  tradi-
tional sense, rather it	is run by an advertising agency	con-
tracted	by the manufacturer of Bearcat	scanners.   The	 $12
per  year  membership  fee  includes  SCAN Magazine, a thin,
albeit glossy, bimonthly.

Membership information is available from:

	  Scanner Association of North America
	  240 Fencl Lane
	  Hillside, Illinois 60162

		   Do Your Own Sleuthing

The real challenge is deriving new spectrum  usage  informa-
tion.	Sometimes  it  requires	 several  days of listening,
taping,	 and  compiling	 fragments  of	information.   Other
times,	the  frequency information is there for	the taking -
without	hassle.

More about sleuthing will be discussed in Part	II  of	this
article.
__________

 1. See	"The Government	Giveth,	the Government Taketh Away",
    by Richard Prelinger, in Monitoring	Times, July 1982.

 2. See	"AFIO and the FOIA", by	Bob Grove, in Monitoring
    Times, September 1982.

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/04/85)

In article <369@brl-tgr.ARPA> jhs%Mitre-Bedford@d3unix.UUCP writes:
>A friend has asked me to try to obtain a list of the "10-codes" that
>the police use in radio communications.  I once had such a list but

There is no standard list in use nationwide. I have heard widely varying
meanings for the same "10 codes". I suggest that you call the police
department of interest and ask them. The Phoenix Police Department here
has a citizen ride-along program. When you go on it, they give you a
complete list of 10-codes and the other codes they use. Maybe they
have a similar service in your area. By the way, a common way to select
other codes (211, 459, etc) is to use the criminal code number for the
offense being described.
	John Moore NJ7E (Phoenix, Arizona)