[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Cataloging Pgm for 20,000 files?

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (11/22/90)

Does anyone know of a program, shareware, pub. domain, commercial (yes, I'm
that desperate)  that can index, catalog, sort, etc. pc files?

Yes, I know that there are several, but I've tried about 10 and none can
handle the number of files I've got.  I have 9000 files on my 330mb drive,
of which over 1000 are .ZIP (archived) files.  The program must be able to
handle .ZIP files and open them so that I can index their contents.  That
would bring the number of files up to about 20,000.

All the programs I've tried attempt to hold the file name and info in base
memory, so of course are limited to 640k.  I need one that either uses
expanded, extended, or disc memory to do the sorting, reporting etc.

Any hope out there?

Doug Parsons
(doug@hparc0.hp.com)

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au (11/26/90)

In article <2650002@hparc0.HP.COM>, doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
> Does anyone know of a program, shareware, pub. domain, commercial (yes, I'm
> that desperate)  that can index, catalog, sort, etc. pc files?
>
> Yes, I know that there are several, but I've tried about 10 and none can
> handle the number of files I've got.  I have 9000 files on my 330mb drive,
> of which over 1000 are .ZIP (archived) files.  The program must be able to
> handle .ZIP files and open them so that I can index their contents.  That
> would bring the number of files up to about 20,000.
>
> All the programs I've tried attempt to hold the file name and info in base
> memory, so of course are limited to 640k.  I need one that either uses
> expanded, extended, or disc memory to do the sorting, reporting etc.
>
> Any hope out there?
>
> Doug Parsons
> (doug@hparc0.hp.com)

I have had the same problem.

So I wrote my own - it can handle 32,000 files on the one disk as well
as an unlimited number of files altogether.

I will upload it as shareware if I receive enough requests ( and therefore
can expect enough money).  It took me about 80 hours to create it.
There are currently 3 users besides myself and so far no bugs.

How can I release it as shareware?

Ray