[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] BENCHMARKS !!!!

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (11/26/90)

What are the "industry-standard" benchmarks for pc's, and what
do you think about them?  Specifically, the Landmark, Power Meter, MHz,
and Norton SI benchmarks.  Are there others which should be added
to that list?

What makes a PC benchmark different from a benchmark for workstations,
like the SPEC benchmark?  Do PC benchmarks measure I/O?  Do they provide
a single number, or separate numbers like the SPEC benchmark suite?

I suppose all PC benchmarks run in real-address mode, so that eliminates
performance differences due to the processor architecture, which is
something SPEC is designed to reveal.

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (11/27/90)

In <36221@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>do you think about them?  Specifically, the Landmark, Power Meter, MHz,
>and Norton SI benchmarks.  Are there others which should be added
>to that list?
Landmark is not bad except that your x86 will "run at 116MHz" especially if
you have cache. SI is like dhrystone: unavoidable. PM is the best if not the
"less-worse", still there are plenty others: PCTech, PCLabs, Demo from Compaq..
and of course we'll not forget Byte's

>What makes a PC benchmark different from a benchmark for workstations,
>like the SPEC benchmark?  Do PC benchmarks measure I/O?  Do they provide
>a single number, or separate numbers like the SPEC benchmark suite?
Power Meter gives you a set of numbers, CoreTest is a good test about disk (we'
ve found correlation with our SSBA's I/O part). Workstation benchmark basically
should not be different, in principle, to , say, PC benchmark (except such
trivialities like multitasking, multiuser issues)

>I suppose all PC benchmarks run in real-address mode, so that eliminates
>performance differences due to the processor architecture, which is
>something SPEC is designed to reveal.
As far as I know, all PC benchmarks DO run in real mode (the doduc (!#@!) does
run in protected mode too -self advertisement- !#@!).

--nh