[net.ham-radio] Shuttle reception

Michael.Chepponis@CMU-CS-C.ARPA (Mike Chepponis) (08/02/85)

Has anybody been able to copy acceptable SSTV from the shuttle?  Here in
Pittsburgh at W3VC, we've been able to hear faint signals on orbit #50, and
much stronger signals on orbit #52, but nothing at all on any other orbit.
Apparently, the SAREX experiment was not turned on as anticipated, and orbit
#50 was the first orbit it was on.  Both orbits were in "Mode 1" - auto SSTV
downlink (no uplinks).  The pictures we did get on orbit #52 were in the
following sequence: four 8-sec B&W, one 12-sec color, one 36-sec color, then
the cw id "W0ORE/CHALLENGER", sent at about 15 WPM.  Then the sequence
repeated.  We were only able to hear it for slightly fewer than 3 sequences,
and of the pictures we could see, the best were the B&W ones.  But even though
the signal peaked at s9+60 dB on the Yaesu FT-726R, the nulls were VERY deep,
and this caused severe hits to the pictures.  As far as we can guess, the
pictures were of the shuttle bay doors and the IPS.  We are using a GaAs FET
preamp and either an Isopole or the 20-ele twist antenna of our OSCAR 10
setup.  Tony is running only 2.5 w, but that should be quite enough.  Also,
on both passes, it was announced that SAREX would be on only MINUTES before the
shuttle passed within our range.

I'm curious what sorts of experiences others are having.  We have noticed that
QRM on the downlink frequency is non-existent at this QTH (a far cry from the
W5LFL mission!).  Here is the germaine ARRL bulletin on the subject:

QST de W1AW
Hr ARRL Bulletin NR 65  From ARRL Headquarters
Newington Ct  August 1, 1985
To all radio amateurs bt

The launch of space Challenger mission 51F took place at 2100.10 UTC
on July 29.

Operation by W0ORE is now expected on the following schedule,

 Date   Old Orbit    New Orbit    Start    Stop
         Number       Number       UTC     UTC

Aug 1      47           48         1955    2025
           48           49         2130    2200
           49           50         2300    2320

Aug 2      50           51         0025    0125
           51           52         0155    0255
           52           53         0325    0405
           53           54         0500    0540
           54           55         0635    0705
           58           59         1300    1310
           62           63         1850    1900
           63           64         2010    2045
           64           65         2140    2220
           65           66         2305    2335

Keplerian elements for STS 51F are:

I.D.                    Element Set 7
Epoch                   85/212.59409722
Drag                    2.5e-04
Inclination             49.4884
R.A.A.N.                146.3659
Eccentricity            .0006493
Arg. of Perigee         317.0027
Mean Anomaly            185.499
Mean Motion             15.86377915
Orbit Number            28

Semi Major Axis         6696.6766 Km
Anom Period             90.75
Apogee                  319.5 Km
Perigee                 312.3 Km
Beacon                  145.55 MHz            AR

73, -Mike, k3mc (with the CMU Amateur Radio Club, W3VC)
-------

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/04/85)

In article <379@brl-tgr.ARPA> Michael.Chepponis@CMU-CS-C.ARPA (Mike Chepponis) writes:
>Has anybody been able to copy acceptable SSTV from the shuttle?  Here in
>Pittsburgh at W3VC, we've been able to hear faint signals on orbit #50, and
>much stronger signals on orbit #52, but nothing at all on any other orbit.

In Phoenix, I have copied 5 orbits and worked him once. On all orbits he was
weaker than W5LFL was, with the strongest signal an S4 (??) on AZDEN 3000.
I have no SSTV equipment so have not looked at images, although they are
on tape and will be decoded at a friends QTH. Antenna system is KLM 14 el
vertically polarized beam with accurate AZ tracking and EL of 0 degrees.
The weak signals were heard on relatively close orbits that would have been
S9 on the W5LFL mission, so I wonder if his ERP is down for some reason.

	John NJ7E