[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] multitasking needed for an 8088 PC

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/22/90)

Hi-ho,

I need your help.....

I do a lot of file transfers on my PC (8088), and would like to do them
in the background. I have tried DoubleDos. This worked satisafactorily,
except that the transfer progress updates would constantly show up in the
middle of my other application's screen (and if using a text editor or
word processor, it would enter those number into my text).

Please suggest to me an 8088 utility for this (I know the obvious solution
is to get a '386, but I need an immediate solution.

I've looked around the net (including comp.sys.ibm.pc & .misc & .binaries
etc, but no luck yet...would simtel have a PD version???)

Thankyou.

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/25/90)

In article <47366@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
$I do a lot of file transfers on my PC (8088), and would like to do them
$in the background. I have tried DoubleDos. This worked satisafactorily,
$except that the transfer progress updates would constantly show up in the
$middle of my other application's screen (and if using a text editor or
$word processor, it would enter those number into my text).

   Offhand, two possible solutions come to mind:

- use Crosstalk for your communications needs.  It does background file
  transfers.  Just keep in mind that it's one of the most awkward programs
  known to mankind, so you may have some difficulty learning it.

- use Desqview as your multitasker.  It will run on an 8088.

DISCLAIMER:  I don't use either of the aforementioned products, and have
	very limited experience with either of them, so take these sugg-
	estions with a grain of salt.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) |----------------------------------| searching

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.005159.6136@xrtll.uucp>, silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:
> In article <47366@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
> $I do a lot of file transfers on my PC (8088), and would like to do them
> $in the background. I have tried DoubleDos. This worked satisafactorily,
> $except that the transfer progress updates would constantly show up in the
> $middle of my other application's screen (and if using a text editor or
> $word processor, it would enter those number into my text).
>
>    Offhand, two possible solutions come to mind:
>
> - use Crosstalk for your communications needs.  It does background file
>   transfers.  Just keep in mind that it's one of the most awkward programs
>   known to mankind, so you may have some difficulty learning it.
>
> - use Desqview as your multitasker.  It will run on an 8088.
>
> DISCLAIMER:  I don't use either of the aforementioned products, and have
> 	very limited experience with either of them, so take these sugg-
> 	estions with a grain of salt.

I used DoubleDos ages ago, and recall the same problem.  I *believe* there
are some screen setting parameters that you can tinker with -- check the
DoubleDos manual.  I seem to recall having no trouble when the comm. package
I was using was Kermit.  Kermit takes up about 128k, which leaves 512k.  I
forget how much DoubleDos itself gobbles up, but this should leave you with
a nice 450k partition.   The trouble with Desqview on an XT is that the
program itself gobbles up a hefty chunk of RAM.  This is not a problem on
an AT or 386 with LIM 4.0 memory -- the program can locate itself in
expanded memory -- but on most XTs, there isn't that much memory left
for applications.  Usually around 435k (maybe a bit more with newer
versions of DV) total -- so if your comm. application eats up 128k
(many comm. applications require 200k+), you don't have much left for
foreground tasks.

You can add an EEMS memory card to an XT to give Desqview more "room",
but I'd be careful here: 1) you actually have to "unplug" some of your
existing motherboard memory and 2) many EMS cards aren't fully 4.0
compatible (even if advertised as such) and hence don't help much --
I fell into that trap 2 years ago when I tried to add an EMS card to my
old XT (suffice it to say I no longer use my XT).

Douglas Baer,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX