[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Screendump Utility for DOS

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.133730.4846@ssd.kodak.com> houwers@ssd.kodak.com (Michael Houwers - Product Software Engineering ) writes:

>I am attempting to find a screendump utility for MD-DOS that will work with a variety
>of printers and/or system configurations.  It must be flexible, and need not have
>bells and whistles; a simple package will be acceptable and preferred.  Also
>preferred would be a shareware package with source, but a suggestions for a
>commercial package will also be welcome.
>
>Any ideas?

   Take a look at /pc/ts/tsfaq14.arc frequently asked questions
collection (available by anonymous ftp or mail server eg from
uwasa.fi and Simtel20).
   Note that I cannot guarantee that it contains an answer you are
looking for, since you have not defined what you mean by a screen
dump.  Most importantly do you need a graphics or a textmode screen
dump?  If it is the latter, then you should find some relevant
information in the said FAQ.
   Furthermore, if it is a question of a textmode screen dump, there
is no absolute need for separate printer drivers.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

houwers@kipper.ssd.kodak.com (Michael Houwers ( ) -- PSE ) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.184155.24409@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <1990Nov27.133730.4846@ssd.kodak.com> houwers@ssd.kodak.com (Michael Houwers - Product Software Engineering ) writes:
)>
)>I am attempting to find a screendump utility for MS-DOS that will work with a variety
)>of printers and/or system configurations.  It must be flexible, and need not have
)>bells and whistles; a simple package will be acceptable and preferred.  Also
)>preferred would be a shareware package with source, but any suggestions for a
)
)   Note that I cannot guarantee that it contains an answer you are
)looking for, since you have not defined what you mean by a screen
)dump.  Most importantly do you need a graphics or a textmode screen
)dump?  ....
)   Furthermore, if it is a question of a textmode screen dump, there
)is no absolute need for separate printer drivers.
)
)...................................................................
)Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)
)School of Business Studies, University of Vaasa, SF-65101, Finland
)Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: gado::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

My error.  I realize now that I should have been more clear.  By a screendump,
I meant a package that will allow me to capture the current screen (text and/or
graphics) and dump it to the printer.  Since it is not just a text screen dump,
I need something more than DOS' printscreen capability - I need to be able to print
CGA/EGA/VGA images on a printer from the screen, so separate printer drivers are probably
necessary.

Related question: reagrding GRAPHICS.COM: Does it have to be executed BEFORE attempting
to print graphics from the screen?  Or does it just have to be sitting in the PATH
somewhere?

Does this clear things up?

apologies,
mike houwers