[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] price for a system

hollyr@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Holly Raab) (11/27/90)

A friend of mine asked me to post this.  What
can you expect to pay for the following items?

1.  A 386 computer with a 80 mb hard disk, 4 mb
    of RAM, one 3 1/2 HD floppy, one 5 1/4 HD
    floppy?

2.  A full-screen monograph monitor (for desktop
    publishing)?

3.  Pagemaker or Ventura?

4.  Word Perfect or MS-Word or Emacs?

5.  Laser printer (300 dpi)?

Thanks in advance....Holly

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/28/90)

In article <7066@brspyr1.BRS.Com> hollyr@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Holly Raab) writes:
>A friend of mine asked me to post this.  What
>can you expect to pay for the following items?

That's like saying "What would you expect to pay for a car"  What kind
of car, what kind of warrantee, etc. etc. etc...  Do you want a name
brand computer (with a name brand price) or are you willing to settle
for no-name equipment purchased at the swap meet.

Get a copy of Byte or PC World; Dell, Everex, Compaq (to name a couple)
plus hundreds of discount outfits advertise, and quote prices on hardware
and software.

>1.  A 386 computer with a 80 mb hard disk, 4 mb
>    of RAM, one 3 1/2 HD floppy, one 5 1/4 HD
>    floppy?

Do you want a 20mhz 386, a 25mhz 386 w/ or w/o cache, do you want a
33mhz 386 w/ or w/o cache.  Would a 16mhz or 20mhz 386SX do the job.
Prices vary from $300 to over $1000 depending on which you choose.
And yes, I've seen 20mhz motherboards, brand new in the box, they're
still available at the swap meets.

Do you want a fast hard disk, say 28ms access time, or would you settle
for a slower one.  Do you want MFM, RLL, IDE, ESDI, or SCSI?  Do you want
a 1:1 controller?  Various combinations can start as low as $700 and
go up from there.

If you were to choose a middle of the road system, say a 25mhz 386 w/o
cache, get a Micropolis 1355 hard disk with a WD 1:1 RLL controller,
you could get out the door with the above system for < $1500 at the swap
meets.  Or you could pay Compaq $5000+.

>2.  A full-screen monograph monitor (for desktop publishing)?

Full screen?  They're all "full screen."  Do you mean a full page monitor.
For a conventional 14" mono VGA, swap meet prices are around $100 for the
monitor, Paradise or Orchid VGA clones as low as $45.  Name brand stuff
is considerably higher.  I've never looked at full page monitors, so I
can't tell you swap meet prices.

>5.  Laser printer (300 dpi)?

I've seen the low end HP LaserJet for < $1000 at the swaps.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Good girls get to go to heaven, but bad girls get to go everywhere!

hollyr@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Holly Raab) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.161742.17819@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>, kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:

> [stuff deleted]
> Full screen?  They're all "full screen."  Do you mean a full page monitor.

Yes, I meant a full page monitor.  My friend publishes a local magazine,
and is looking to make the transition from a traditional layout and
typesetting environment to a desktop publishing environment.  He knows
very little about computers, and I'm trying to help get him started.

Has anyone been through this type of transition?  If so, how did you
get started?

Thanks for your help.

Holly