[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] fdformat 1.6

jimmills@cs.arizona.edu (James H. Mills) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov5.113315.25910@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, schikore@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Schikore, Dan) writes:
> Has anyone tried version 1.6 of fdformat who can tell me how to use it
> on my XT?  I have used older versions, but when I installed the new one
> I got an error saying that it needs a 286.  Suggestions?
>
> -Thanks
>
> -Dan Schikore
> schikore@en.ecn.purdue.edu

fdformat is a formatting program which is used with hi-density floppy disk drives.  Most likely you need a 1.2 MB 5 1/4 drive which are typically available on
286 and higher systems.

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (11/29/90)

>In article <1990Nov5.113315.25910@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, schikore@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Schikore, Dan) writes:
>> Has anyone tried version 1.6 of fdformat who can tell me how to use it
>> on my XT?  I have used older versions, but when I installed the new one
>> I got an error saying that it needs a 286.  Suggestions?

FD-FORMAT v1.6 was supplied with the 286 version of FDREAD.EXE.  Judging
from the included source code, it looks like they made it smaller by using
a couple of 286-specific instructions (push immediate) to tighten up some
areas.

If you can get FD-Format v1.5, use the FDREAD.EXE supplied with that.  If
not, send E-mail and I'll mail mine to you.

I think everything else should work on an XT.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."