[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Displaying Postscript files on an IBM PC

zen@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Zen) (11/25/90)

	I am trying to locate a program which will allow me to view a
Postscript file on an IBM 286. Specifically, I want this to be able to
see how postscript files created with WordStar 5.5 will turn out (without
printing) as the Advanced Page Preview program does not implement the special
features available to Postscript Printers.
--

 _____
//  //    __                Two elephants fell off a cliff. Boom Boom.    //

--

 _____
//  //    __                Two elephants fell off a cliff. Boom Boom.    //

turbo@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Chris Turbeville) (11/28/90)

Have you looked at the goscript program?  It has facilities not only to
view but to print your postscript on numerous printers.
Chris

steve@castle.ed.ac.uk (S D Law) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.214833.13048@evax.arl.utexas.edu> turbo@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Chris Turbeville) writes:
>Have you looked at the goscript program?  It has facilities not only to
>view but to print your postscript on numerous printers.
>Chris

Is this goscript public software or would I have to pay real money for
it ?  If public, where can I get it from ?

Steve.

matloff@iris.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.214833.13048@evax.arl.utexas.edu> turbo@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Chris Turbeville) writes:

>Have you looked at the goscript program?  It has facilities not only to
>view but to print your postscript on numerous printers.

The previous author asked just what I wanted to know.  Thanks for the
answer, but it is incomplete.  Is goscript a commercial product?
Public domain?  Pointers for it would be appreciated.

[Please reply via e-mail.]

   Norm

jb@falstaff.mae.cwru.edu (Jim Berilla) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov27.214833.13048@evax.arl.utexas.edu> turbo@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Chris Turbeville) writes:

>>Have you looked at the goscript program?  It has facilities not only to
>>view but to print your postscript on numerous printers.

Is that the same as ghostscript?  Or is there another postscript clone out
there?

Ghostscript is a gnu program available from (among others)
wuarchive.wustl.edu in the gnu directory.

It will run under dos and display a file on an ega screen.  It will also
output to other devices including a laser or deskjet.  The laserjet output
is limited to 75dpi because of the pc's memory limitations.  It's not too
quick, either.  It requires turbo-c to compile.

It will also run on most unix systems, and will drive the laserjet at full
300dpi resolution.  On a Sun 3 it takes about a minute per page.  Some of
the fonts aren't quite right, and the justification is a little bit off.

Despite all that, I think it's a great program.  It's easy to get running,
and the price is right.  I only use it to run off documents that I can't
in any other format, and it serves my needs well.

--
      Jim Berilla / jb@falstaff.cwru.edu / 216-368-6776
"My opinions are my own, except on Wednesday mornings at 9 AM,