[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Could math chip cost damage to the motherboard?

mel@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Melvin S. Fuller) (11/29/90)

I have a 3months old generic IBM compatible 386SX-16 and just bought
a Cyrix 3S87-16 math coprocessor. After the math chip is plugged in,
the system will not boot up even the chip is unplugged.  The chip should
be plugged in correctly according to the socket and the line on the board.

The motherboard is getting power, but does not do anything, even memory
check at all. Is the ROM bad? How do I check on that?

Any help will be appreciated!

Jialin(borrowing Mel's account)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.034848.7527@athena.cs.uga.edu> mel@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Melvin S. Fuller) writes:
>I have a 3months old generic IBM compatible 386SX-16 and just bought
>a Cyrix 3S87-16 math coprocessor. After the math chip is plugged in,
>the system will not boot up even the chip is unplugged.  The chip should
>be plugged in correctly according to the socket and the line on the board.

There is usually an associated jumper on the motherboard, near the *87 socket,
which must be moved on installation of a math chip.  This may be your problem.

Then again..
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |