[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need info on Video Digitizers

bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) (11/18/90)

I'm looking for a card for my 386SX to take video from my camcorder
and save stills (eventually in Gif format) to my pc.

I'm looking for something not terribly
expensive but can do color.  I would like to know manufacturers
(only one I've heard of is Sigma's Image-It) of such cards,
approximate prices, software needed, and procedures of use.  I'm curious
whether the camcorder image must be completely stationary and for how
long.  Just any experiences and would be appreciated, Thanks.
--
Brad Leseberg  | AT&T Bell Labs | !att!drutx!bal
(303) 538-4964 | Denver, CO     | bal@drutx.att.com

bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) (11/20/90)

in article <6706@drutx.ATT.COM>, bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) says:

I finally found some video digitizer companies listed in the latest
"Publish" magazines under mail order company ads and a buyer's guide
issue that listed manufacturers.

I called Sigma and found out that the Image-It card has a
320x200x256 and a 640x480x16 mode.  It's a 8-bit card and is being
discontinued with nothing replacing it.

I called Willow and the guy I talked to must have been new.  He tried
to assure me that they did not have any video digitizers on the market
but would soon.  I saw several listed under mail order ads.

I only found two mail order companies that were knowledgable about
video digitizers.  Both agreed that for the money, Jovian Logic
products were the best way to go.  They both liked Computer Eyes
products if you are on a budget.  They warned me that they've had
lots of complaints with Willow products, difficult installation, poor
docs, and poor tech. support.  So, I've ordered a Jovian Logic
SuperVIA and will give a report when I get it running.  It supports
640x480x256 and can capture at 1/60th of a sec.  I bought mine from
Laser Press & Graphics at 800-628-4517 (Jeff is who helped me and
was great) for $675.

Everything above is just the opinions of the people that sell the
products, but it's the only advice I could find.
--

gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Glen U. Sunada) (11/22/90)

In article <6720@drutx.ATT.COM>, bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) writes:
> in article <6706@drutx.ATT.COM>, bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) says:
>
> I finally found some video digitizer companies listed in the latest
> "Publish" magazines under mail order company ads and a buyer's guide
> issue that listed manufacturers.
>
> I called Sigma and found out that the Image-It card has a
> 320x200x256 and a 640x480x16 mode.  It's a 8-bit card and is being
> discontinued with nothing replacing it.
>        .
>        .
>        .
> video digitizers.  Both agreed that for the money, Jovian Logic
> products were the best way to go.  They both liked Computer Eyes
> products if you are on a budget.  They warned me that they've had
> lots of complaints with Willow products, difficult installation, poor
> docs, and poor tech. support.  So, I've ordered a Jovian Logic
> SuperVIA and will give a report when I get it running.  It supports
> 640x480x256 and can capture at 1/60th of a sec.  I bought mine from
> Laser Press & Graphics at 800-628-4517 (Jeff is who helped me and
> was great) for $675.

   I have used a Jovian Logic SuperVIA and find it to be an excelent product.
Installation was 1-2-3 just as described in the manual and it works great.  I
have had just one problem that is related to image format conversion.  The
easiest way I have found to do this is to capture the images using the multi-
write option and then load each frame separately and convert to your
final format.

  The best part I have found about the board is that it does both frame
and field
capture.  This can be critical for some older VCRS that repeat only the
field on
still video.

   I have not been able to test the card with anything but a standard
video camera
VCR but am verry pleased with the results.  According to the docs the
board also
accepts the Y/C signals of SuperVHS and Super8 video cameras, and direct RGB
signals from profesional video cameras.

   A boon to european users is that the borad is software configurable to take
NTSC or PAL inputs.

				Glen U. Sunada
Internet: gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU
UUnet:  : ...ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU!gs940971

timmons@atccad.enet.dec.com (11/30/90)

The Computer Eyes Professional by Digital Vision for $329 from Tenex is
hard to beat!