[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SVGA board 1024x768 recommendations...

spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) (11/29/90)

I need a 16-bit 1024x768 SVGA board and want to spend < $200. I want
it to be able to do 256 colors at 800x600 and 1024x768. Speed and
reliability are important but compatibility is a must (eg. Windows 3.0
drivers)! Please e-mail me any suggestions/opinions based on your
personal experience.  I will post a summary if there is sufficient
interest.

Thanks,
Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/30/90)

spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) writes:

>I need a 16-bit 1024x768 SVGA board and want to spend < $200. I want
>it to be able to do 256 colors at 800x600 and 1024x768. Speed and
>reliability are important but compatibility is a must (eg. Windows 3.0
>drivers)! Please e-mail me any suggestions/opinions based on your

Oh yeah, and I want a date with Kim Basinger too.
Plus I want to win the lottery. Please tell me how
I can do it by next week. I can't wait any longer.

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (11/30/90)

In article <AH{^#&&@rpi.edu> spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) writes:
>I need a 16-bit 1024x768 SVGA board and want to spend < $200. I want
>it to be able to do 256 colors at 800x600 and 1024x768. Speed and
>reliability are important but compatibility is a must (eg. Windows 3.0
>drivers)!

I just bought a VGA Ultra (claims to be a ProDesigner II clone since it
uses the same Tseng chip) with 1Meg for $180. After changing the crystal
(it came set up for non-interlaced and I have an interlaced monitor) and
getting the right drivers (it came with the software for a 256/512K board
with the older version of the Tseng chip), I can run Windows and view
GIF images. There's a slight shimmer effect in Windows presumably because
of the interlace but it's very legible on my Seiko 1430. I don't have
any GIF images bigger than 640x480x256 so I can't comment on how that
looks but I'd expect images to be more benign than graphics. I don't
have an Orcad driver yet but the font looks a bit small on the partial
screen I get with the driver for the old Tseng chip. The shimmer is not
visible like it is in Windows probably because of the black background.
Performace is reasonable - 16-bit card, 25MHz 286 with cache, BIOS
loaded into RAM. I'm happy with it.

Mike Ching