[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Cache and RAM Disc Combination Wanted

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (11/27/90)

Hi,

I use both a RAM Disc as well as a large Disc Cache on my AT system and it
helps a BUNCH.  Configuration is a problem from time to time though.
The RAM Disc needs to be big enough to get the job done (whatever the job
is at the time), but most often it is unused or empty.  I was wondering if
a combination package existed such that as files were created on the RAM
Disc the cache would automatically become smaller and later when the files
were deleted the cache would automatically use the released space.

I am up for purchase, shareware or freeware, but mostly I want a good stable
dependable product that won't cause more TSR and system problems than it
solves.  I have been using Vcache that used to come with Mace Utilties for
several years now with good results.  If the new package could be used with
Windows 3.0 that would be a plus since I will soon be getting that program
and I hear that SmartDrive or whatever it is called is not really all that
good.  (I would be interested in hearing reports that confirm OR deny that
rumor.)

Frank
frank@odetics.com or uunet!odetics!frank

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov26.184412.16460@odetics.com> frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I use both a RAM Disc as well as a large Disc Cache on my AT system and it
>helps a BUNCH.  Configuration is a problem from time to time though.
>The RAM Disc needs to be big enough to get the job done (whatever the job
>is at the time), but most often it is unused or empty.  I was wondering if
>a combination package existed such that as files were created on the RAM
>Disc the cache would automatically become smaller and later when the files
>were deleted the cache would automatically use the released space.
>

>Frank
PcKwik does exactly this. The Ram disk is setup inside the cache,
takes exactly as much space as necessary, leaves the rest for
ramdisk, spooler, screen capture. Several posters have recently
recommended PcKwik and I would like to add my recommendation. I have
used a number of cache/ramdisk programs and this one is the best one
I have ever seen. Among other things, it also unloads quite nicely.
For under $100 the PcKwik Powerpak is a steal.

Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD
beck@ucsd.edu
Dislaimer: The Regents pay me to distribute my opinions. But not

kevinr@malta.sbi.com (Kevin Redden) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov26.184412.16460@odetics.com>, frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) writes:
>...............I was wondering if
> a combination package existed such that as files were created on the RAM
> Disc the cache would automatically become smaller and later when the files
> were deleted the cache would automatically use the released space.

The Super PC-Kwick package does just what Frank was asking for. If you buy it,
make sure you get get both products, since the disk caching program is also
sold stand alone.
PC Magazine rated this package as an Editor's Choice last year.

Kevin Redden
Salomon Technology Services

richi@hpopd.HP.COM (Richard Jennings) (12/01/90)

I've been using a shareware package called Hyperdisk for about a week now.

It's a disk cache that can delay its writes.  Potentially dangerous, but
great in theory, as it means you get all of the benefits of a cache and
a RAM drive, without having to muck about writing batch files.

Oh, and it works with Windows 3.0 too.

Version 4.11 by HyperWare, 14460 Sycamore Ave., San MArtin, CA 95046, USA
+1-408-683-4911

I was so impressed, I bought a license (well, I will do).

richi.
 Richard Jennings,  Software Development Engineer
 Pinewood Information Systems Division,       the home of HP's Advanced
                                      Image Management System (HP AIMS),
                                OpenMail and Multi-media communications
 Hewlett-Packard
 Nine Mile Ride                              Voice: (+44)/(0)344 763738
 Wokingham                                   Fax:   (+44)/(0)344 763526
 Berkshire  RG11 3LL                         E-mail: richi@hpopd.HP.COM
 England                                     or  ...!hplabs!hpopd!richi

forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) (12/01/90)

As a bunch of people have mentioned, the PC-KWIK Power Pak
does everything this guy wants. Pc-Week had a short blurb announcing
a new version of PC-KWIK that allegedly works with Windows 3.0.
so if you buy this package you might want to make sure you get the
new version (although if you get the old version you'll get a free
upgrade to the new version, according to the article).

This is one fine piece of software.

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM
forrest@sybase.com
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422