[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 286 Extended Memory Management

mike@ncrspks.Sparks.NCR.COM (Mike Clymer) (11/15/90)

	We are looking for a extended memory management program for
	286 PC's running DOS.  We know about Pop Drop and Pop Load,
	but they have short commings working with emuliated extended
	memory.  Does anyone know of other products that will operate
	with extended memory on 286's?  Have you had any experence
	and luck with the products?

mregeste@amo.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) (11/20/90)

In article <124@ncrspks.Sparks.NCR.COM> mike@ncrspks.Sparks.NCR.COM () writes:

>	We are looking for a extended memory management program for
>	286 PC's running DOS.  We know about Pop Drop and Pop Load,
>	but they have short commings working with emuliated extended
>	memory.  Does anyone know of other products that will operate
>	with extended memory on 286's?  Have you had any experence
>	and luck with the products?

If you have an option to use EXPANDED memory I would recommend QRAM
from Quarterdeck.  They are the same people that did QEMM/386.  The
QRAM product is for 286 pc's with EXPANDED memory.  It lets you load
TSR's into "high" memory and other features like the QEMM product.

--
Mark Regester Information Systems & Services, NCR Peripheral Products Division
 NCR:654-8340 <M.Regester@Wichita.NCR.COM>

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (12/01/90)

In article <433@amo.Wichita.NCR.COM> mregeste@amo.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) writes:
>In article <124@ncrspks.Sparks.NCR.COM> mike@ncrspks.Sparks.NCR.COM () writes:
>>
>>	We are looking for a extended memory management program for
>>	286 PC's running DOS.  We know about Pop Drop and Pop Load,
>>	but they have short comings working with emulated extended
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think it is clearer to use the term emulated expanded memory.  Any
extended memory is paged in and out of an EMS page frame by use of a
software driver.  This is clumsy and slow with the 286, hence the term
"braindead" that is often applied to the 286.

>>	memory.  Does anyone know of other products that will operate
>>	with extended memory on 286's?  Have you had any experence
>>	and luck with the products?
>
>If you have an option to use EXPANDED memory I would recommend QRAM
>from Quarterdeck.  They are the same people that did QEMM/386.  The
>QRAM product is for 286 pc's with EXPANDED memory.  It lets you load
>TSR's into "high" memory and other features like the QEMM product.

This is a good recommendation except that he did mention that he did
not have "real" expanded memory.  QRAM will require a LIM 4.0 EMS board
or EEMS (Rampage) board be installed.  It will not work with emulated
expanded memory nor with 3.2 EMS boards that merely have a 4.0 driver
added.  There is really not a whole lot that can be done short of an
investment in expensive hardware.  In that case a new 386sx motherboard
would be a more prudent investment.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato